PHPVirtualBox - Sluggishness

• I searched the forum and didn't see anything on this topic so hopefully this help other people once resolved.

I recently installed OMV 1.0.23 on a new NAS that my friend and I built. It's an i5 with all of the VT options enabled (VT-x, VT-d, VT-x Ept). I've been using a WIN7 VM for work on my local hard drive and it runs buttery smooth (all graphics max, Aero, etc). Now that I've installed a WIN7 VM onto OMV with PHPVirtualBox, i'm having a performance issue.

ISSUE: Mostly graphical, perhaps latency or lag, not sure. I open a window and drag it around the screen, its very sluggish and produces the god awful resemblance of a PC without a proper video driver installed. The window moves in slow motion, leaves a motion trail, etc... VM Specs: 2 cores, 2048mb Memory, 256mb video memory

I'm new to VMs and only have experience running them on a local hard drive. This would be my first real experience running a VM on a server and connecting to it remotely. I have already installed VB Guest Additions 4.3.16 and that did not see to impact the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you connecting to the win7 vm via rdesktop directly to the VM (not to virtualbox's rdp server)? If not, it is going to be sluggish.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I just discovered that I was connecting through VirtualBox's RDP server... lol!!

I did make some more progress on my original issue that may be helpful to others. Concerning connecting through the VirtualBox RDP server... currently there VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.16 available as the most recent version. I installed the following versions in the following methods to find out if this was a driver related issue or something else.

VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.0

• Installed with no Direct3D Support = horrible video performance
    • Installed with Basic3D Support = horrible video performance
    • Installed with Full Direct3D Support = horrible video performance

VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.10

• Installed with no Direct3D Support = good video performance
    • Installed with Basic3D Support = good video performance
    • Installed with Full Direct3D Support = good video performance

VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.14

VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.16

Now I know I was connecting all wrong, but if anyone else has this issue and needs to install VBoxGuestAdditions for whatever reason, I'd go with version 4.3.10 until they fix some of the video issues installed with the driver. On the ones where the performance was bad, I saw a mis-coloration in the Windows 7 "busy circle" ... what we used to call the hourglass. By default this graphic is a teal, maybe a bluish green? On any of the versions tested that had issues, this busy circle turned up yellow...

I hope this research helps someone else in the future as said before, I was connecting RDP the wrong way.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!