Remote share plugin

• Heylo!

Having some difficulties with the remoteshare plugin. I want to simply mount an external samba raid to the system folder '/media/backup'. But in order to do that it looks like it needs a share, and won't allow me to select a folder from the system drive to mount to? I can manage it no problem through the cli.. but the plugin seems to require that it be mounted to an external drive. I don't want to have to put an external drive in this server (too loud for where it's situated) nor do I want to mount to a USB.

so for example this works:

Code
    mount -t cifs -o username=username,password=password,rw,nounix,iocharset=utf8,file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777 //192.168.1.120/backup /media/backup

But in the plugin I can't find a way to mount it to /media/backup

Tried the googs but no luck there either :/

Thanks,
    Cloudy

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can mount remote shares with this plugin but I don't understand why you need to mount it to that specific folder?? If you really need to, install the downloader plugin and symlink the shared folder to /media/backup.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can mount remote shares with this plugin but I don't understand why you need to mount it to that specific folder?? If you really need to, install the downloader plugin and symlink the shared folder to /media/backup.

Can you mount remote shares in the webUI? I seem to remember somewhere that this was not possible.

• It is, thats what the remoteshare plugin is mesnt for.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep :) You can mount samba, nfs, and webdav shares with it. Working on adding glusterfs shares as well.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• You can mount remote shares with this plugin but I don't understand why you need to mount it to that specific folder?? If you really need to, install the downloader plugin and symlink the shared folder to /media/backup.

It doesn't have to be that specific folder, I just want to mount a remote share but not to a /mnt/ device like a USB or Sata drive.

I'm trying to mount a remote share on boot - but without having any other drives in the server other than the system one. and can't find a way to do it. All my fstab entries don't pickup because the network isn't up in time. Once booted however I can 'mount -a' and the fstab entry will work fine. So that's when I turned to this plugin instead. But it looks as though you first need to create a share on a disk that you can mount to. I don't want to create a share as I don't have a disk in the server to create one on.. So that's why I just want to mount it to the system drive e.g /media/backup

Thanks!
    Cloudy

• Offizieller Beitrag

You will need to repartition your OS drive then. With another partition on the OS drive, you can mount the filesystem and create a shared folder. Then you can mount a remote share using the remoteshare plugin that will be connected on reboot.

You could also plug in a usb stick (and leave it pemanently - could be very small) just for creating the shared folder.

• OpenMediaVault is designed in that way that the OS drive is kept seperate from the data. However, you can partition your OS disk and create a second partition on it. You can then use that partiton in the webinterface.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Ah okay I was slowly getting to that conclusion =[ Soo the boot sequence has a slight flaw in it from what I can tell? It checks fstab for mounts before bringing up the network, so any network entries fail and get missed. The USB stick is a workaround, the other being a boot script that runs 'mount -a'. Both are not ideal but will get me that remote share mounted which is all that matters I guess =]

Thanks for the help - you've saved me a headache, appreciated.

• remoteshare plugin adds the require network option to the fstab entry... fstab doesnt wait for network by default.

Greetings
    David

• Well aaron made it working for most people in the plugin...

Greetings
    David

• In case someone else has this issue this is a simple automated workaround.

Create file
    /etc/network/if-up.d/fstab

Bash
    #!/bin/sh
    mount -a

Make it executable. Any script you place in if-up.d will only be run after the network is up.

• Offizieller Beitrag

_netdev isn't only for nfs and remoteshare already installs an if-up.d script.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Install remoteshare (I know you can't use it). This will install the _netdev script that remoteshare uses. Then make sure you fstab entry has _netdev and try it again.

I would still just plug a small, cheap usb stick in. It really isn't a workaround. You would have two drives and be able to create shared folders. It also will keep your log from filling up with collectd messages.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!