Moving content on to and in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

It will recognize the raid and you will just have to mount it.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, this is tempting. Seeing that the new box will have three 2TB drive in it to start, (I'll call it the "new array"), that should give me 3.4TB of actual space, so if I off load the data that I have on it over this, (seeing that the old OMV current has four 2TB drives in it), I can pop them into the new OMV, seeing that it has an 8 bay SATA enclosure in it. I can then mount the four drives as the original RAID 5 "old array" and copy the data to the "new array". I can then nuke the "old array" and grow the "new array" to include the four drives from the old OMV. Then I can load back the excess and Bob is my new uncle. :D
    Seeing that the Old OMV box have 1200 movies and 140 TV series on it, I don't have enough excess hard drives to off load everything to free up the four drives currently in it.

Have I understood this all correctly or am I about to cause myself a whole lot of hurt? :o

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be able to do that. It is going to take a while :)

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Yeah, but I hope it would be quicker than either doing it by SneakerNet and a External USB HDD or moving it over by FTP through another PC. Hopefully. :)

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Definitely faster than that :)

• For S**ts and Giggles, I popped three 500GB drives in the new OMV and I am copying some of the movies over to test how well Plex will work on it. I am using MuCommander to go straight from one box to the other, using my WHS as the midpoint and I'm only getting 5MBps. All three boxes are using Gb Ethernet, CAT6 cabling and Cisco Catalyst switches between them. Is this the best to expect? Would it be faster to have a FTP client running on one of the OMV boxes to copy straight from one to another?

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

You should be getting much higher speed than that. I get 40+ mbps over ssh let alone samba. You could try ftp. It should be faster than samba.

• :( Ok, it's 2 am and I've been at this for over 16 hours. I have re-installed OMV on a new drive to give me a fresh start and reconfigured everything and the only way I can see my shares over FTP, is to use SFTP and log in as root. (Still the same as the details in the above link.) Time for sleep and maybe I'll dream about the what I'm doing wrong.
    :)

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!