Moving content on to and in OMV

• Hi,
    Is there a way to FTP from OMV as a client? Or to move files from one share to another? I have about 3TBs of media to load on to my newly created OMV and they are on network attached HDDs that I can FTP into. If I could invoke some form of a FTP client in OMV, I could transfer the files from the network attached HDDs. Or I could connect the raw HDDs to OMV, mount the drives and transfer to exsisting shares.
    If there was a plugin that enabled a FTP client, I could also pull content into OMV from other locations on my network. Maybe even automate it with a CRON job? This is whatI had setup with my WHS and I would like to having to pull content thru a PC, only to push it to the OMV.
    Thanks,
    Ted

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

Couldn't you just use a third system to copy files from the network attached drives to a share on the new OMV system? Otherwise, you can always install a ftp client on the OMV box and transfer using command line.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• That's the thing, I don't want to use a third system as a man in the middle to shuffle the stuff to the OMV box. Installing a FTP client would be the best, but after an hour of Googling it, I still haven't found out how to install an FTP client on OMV.

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Login as root. Change directory to where you want to receive files. Type ftp and hit enter in command line. If a FTP client does not start do the following and try again:

apt-get install filezilla

• So, due to other things, this got put to the wayside. I tried this morning and this was my findings.

root@OMV:/media# apt-get install filezilla
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    filezilla is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 94 not upgraded.

root@OMV:/media# ftp
    -bash: ftp: command not found

I was logged in via Putty as Root.
    Am I doing something wrong?

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• There are several very easy ways to do this and automate the jobs. The method depends on which ṕrotocols your different sources support.

My primary choise would be rsync using OMV to automatically pull the files from ýour sources.

Other posibilities are:
    SFTP (FTP under ssh) if your sources support this.
    NFS if your clients support this. using a cronjob that runs a script
    SMB - install smbclient on OMV and make a cronjob that logs in to your sources and copy the files to OMV.
    FTP as you are suggesting

Again - it depends on what protocols your sources support.

If you tell a little more about your sources it will be a little easier to help you.

• Originally, it was to pull the content from my WHS box into OMV. I figured that FTP would be the quickest. Now, I am wanting to setup a new OMV server for testing, so I would be pulling about 4TB into the box across the GB network.

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Put the HDDs of your WHS into your OMV. Use Rsync then to copy your files.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Only problem is that all of my SATA ports are full on the OMV. Seeing that both the new and old OMV have the drives setup in a RAID, I don't think that I can do something like that between the two boxes.

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Ah, sorry. Well, as your WHS supports smb natively I would suggest to use it for filetransfers, FTP can be much slower if you have many small files.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• What would be the best way to transfer from one OMV box to another, without having to use a third machine to be the intermediary?

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Zitat von "IamTed"

What would be the best way to transfer from one OMV box to another, without having to use a third machine to be the intermediary?

I'm using rsync to copy files from production OMV to backup OMV. Rsync only moves what has changed since last rsync so that both boxes allways are in sync. It's the fastets and easyist method.
    Backup OMV is set to rsync whenever it is turned on.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "jensk"

I'm using rsync to copy files from production OMV to backup OMV. Rsync only moves what has changed since last rsync so that both boxes allways are in sync. It's the fastets and easyist method.
    Backup OMV is set to rsync whenever it is turned on.

Using rsync for the actual syncing.. is a good idea. I use it myself to automatically back up a few directories on "drive A" to "drive B". However, syncing 3tb of data over the network, even w/ rsync.. is going to take forever.

Combine putting the drive in a USB enclosure and mount on the NAS with rsync, and you have a fairly effective solution too the OP's problem. USB Enclosures are are fairly inexpensive now, and to me, it would be worth it for the time saved. Following a similar procedure here on my NAS has always been very smooth. I actually do just the opposite for an offsite backup of my data. I take a USB drive and hook it up to my NAS every month or so, and sync the data from my internal drive to my USB drive.

• Seeing that the drives in the old OMV are setup in a RAID 5 array (Done with OMV, not hardware), can I pull the drives, put them into an USB enclosure and mount them on the new OMV? With the drives in my WHS, this would work, being that it is a JBOD setup instead of a true RAID array.
    If not, I am guessing that I could use a Ext HHD, and shuttle data from the old to new OMV. (Sort of a high density snickernet!) :)

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can move them to USB without a problem. OMV will still see the same uuid and you won't have to do anything.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "tekkbebe"

You can mount a RAID 5 via putting all the drives in externals??? I learned something today.

Yep. I made a raid 5 array of 4 gig usb sticks just to try it. The drives will still get /dev/sdX designations and it is transparent to the system.

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

You can move them to USB without a problem. OMV will still see the same uuid and you won't have to do anything.

But, will this work when I plug them into the new OMV? (Seeing that it has never seen that UUID)

IBM System x3400 server
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!