Is it possible to rename a share?

• I set up some shared folders and started transfering files to them. Then I realized that the setuo wasn't going to work the way I wanted it to. Is it possible to change the name of the Shared Folders? Even if I remove them from the SMB and FTP shares, I seem to only be able to delete them.
    Thanks!

OMV 4.1.0-1 Arrakis running on:
    IBM System x3400 server
    Dual Xeon 5110 1.6Ghz CPUs
    4Gb RAM
    40Gb IDE System drive
    8-2Tb Data HDDs

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "IamTed"

I set up some shared folders and started transfering files to them. Then I realized that the setuo wasn't going to work the way I wanted it to. Is it possible to change the name of the Shared Folders? Even if I remove them from the SMB and FTP shares, I seem to only be able to delete them.
    Thanks!

Yes. Easiest way, is to "mv" them.

First, remove them from any services (samba, ftp, etc..) then delete them under the "shared folders" section in the OMV GUI. Make sure you when you delete the shares, you choose not to delete the data (there will be a box to check if you want the data deleted, do not check it)
    SSH your server
    mv /path/to/folder /path/to/new_folder_name

Remember, if your path names have spaces in them (this can often cause havoc w/ samba), to use quotes in the paths... example mv "/path/to/folder name" "/path/to/new folder name"

If you're not familiar with linux command line, basically that will "move" the contents of the target directory (the first path) to the new directory (the second path).

After you have successfully moved the data, simply add the shares back to OMV in the shared folders section.

Hope that helps.

• I need help..

I had created a share "movies" on a hard drive, to which I had added significant content. I later realized I would like to rename the share to "media"..
    I followed the above initial step of removing the share from any services (SMB) then delete it under the "shared folders" section in the OMV GUI (share only and not data).

I am newbie and am unable to figure out how to move the data in original shared folder "movies" to a new shared folder "media"
    I tried SSH into NAS, but unable to execute the command mv /path/to/folder /path/to/new_folder_name
    Could anyone please help? What should be the path name? The "movies" shared folder was created on a hard drive named "nas".

Along those lines, the hard drive contains data (movies) that were transferred to the original shared folder "movies". How do I see and access those files?
    If I were to add a hard drive to the OMV that already contains data, how do i access that data and organize it under a shared folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depending on the version of OMV drives are mounted in /media/ or in /srv/.
    You can either use SSH to find them by looking in these folders or you use the GUI of OMV.

In the GUI go to shared folders. Move you curser on the title bar of the table. For example put the curser on "referenced". You will see a small arrow pointing down. Click on it. A new window shows up. Tick the box next to "absolute path". Now the table shows you the absolute path to the shared folder.

• ...Is it possible to change the name of the Shared Folders? Even if I remove them from the SMB and FTP shares, I seem to only be able to delete them.

I initially found my way here because I wanted to change the name of a folder and didn't know how. But I ended up doing it differently than what's suggested here.
    I'm adding a response just in case someone else would end up here, and who also finds it scary to remove and delete folders in order to rename them. xD

SSH into NAS and type: cd /srv/dev and instead of pressing enter, press tab twice to get a list of folders. Go through them (if you don't already know which one is your disk), and when you find the one containing the subfolder you're looking for, press Enter.
    Use mv old_folder_name new_folder_name to change its name. (Replace 'old_folder_name' and 'new_folder_name' with whatever names apply in your case.
    Then, change all references to it in openmediavault config by doing:
    nano /etc/openmediavault/config.xml
    Use ctrl+w to search for the reference to your folder and change it to whatever new name you gave it. Then ctrl+x followed by y to save changes, and Enter to confirm.
    I also rebooted for good measure, but everything seemed to be working before that.

(And I realise it's weird to be less scared of changing stuff in config.xml than doing it the suggested way, but that's just how my brain works I guess.)

• I used the first solution suggested here. One observation. In OMV you need to check the Absolute Path of the folder you need to rename. Copy that. In my case I wanted to rename the folder called Books into a folder called Files. So the folder called Books had the absolute path of /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-3c5d1eef-53d3-457e-9162-1314f3da0916/Books

So I sshed into OMV and then did the following commands

Go to folder containing the actual folder I want to rename
    cd /srv/dev-disk-by-uuid-3c5d1eef-53d3-457e-9162-1314f3da0916

Check to see if the Books folder is there

ls

Rename the folder Books to Files

mv Books Files

Check again with ls just to be sure that the folder name changed.
    That's it.

BTW, I am guessing you cannot rename from within OMV considering no one gave a solution involving OMV. Right?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Depends if you want to rename just the name of the shared folder or also the name of the folder/directory itself.

If you just want to rename the shared folder, just delete the shared folder and create a new one with the new name pointing at the original location.

If you are on OMV5 or earlier (you should not!!!!!) make sure to delete the shared folder only, but not the content!!!!!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!