Raid 5 State: clean, degraded

• Detail:

How would a read this and determine this issue

Thanks

Drew

• Whats odd is I shutdown and made sure all HDDs were plugged in properly into my HP N40.

upon reboot i saw it state that 2 of 3 devices were active.

Also now its showing differing devices active:

While in Physical Disks, it shows all the devices there

Any help would be wonderful

Drew

• Seeing as how /sdc was "removed" however there was no mention of it failing
    in command i typed:

Code
    mdadm --add /dev/md127 /dev/sdc

So the device has been readded and is recovering:

Code
    oot@openmediavault:~# mdadm --add /dev/md127 /dev/sdc
    mdadm: re-added /dev/sdc
    root@openmediavault:~# cat /proc/mdstat
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] 
    md127 : active raid5 sdc[2] sda[0] sdb[1]
          3907025920 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [UU_]
          [>....................]  recovery =  0.0% (76800/1953512960) finish=115215.8min speed=282K/sec

First thought is the recovery is going to take 80 days...
    second is how do i determine why the device was removed and how to test it to make sure it it not failing

Thank you

Drew

• More information.
    /dev/sdc has an insanely slower read times. Is this due to the rebuilding or is something faulty?

I see some people referring to cables going bad, however on the HP N40 Micro server im not sure replacing one is possiable

any help would be great!

Drew

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there anything in the system logs? Looks like the drive is failing and that is why it is rebuilding so slow. I may be wrong on this one but to check the cable, just swap with one of the other raid drives. mdadm should still be able find the drive even though it moved to the new location.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Zitat von "ryecoaaron"

Is there anything in the system logs? Looks like the drive is failing and that is why it is rebuilding so slow. I may be wrong on this one but to check the cable, just swap with one of the other raid drives. mdadm should still be able find the drive even though it moved to the new location.

Seeing that you have a N40l you might know this. However is it possible to switch cabling? i was under the impression it was all one master cable

Thanks

Drew

• I just took apart the HP N40L and the swappable trays are connected to a back plate and each SATA plug is connected to a HP specific cable bundle, pretty much impossible to switch without order a new entire proprietary SATA cable bundle. However i was able to switch the one drive in question into an open slot and reboot and continue tests.

It appears that im still getting dismally slow read times on the save drive in a new SATA slot.
    With still slow recovery:

Code
    Personalities : [raid6] [raid5] [raid4] 
    md127 : active raid5 sdb[0] sdd[2] sdc[1]
          3907025920 blocks super 1.2 level 5, 512k chunk, algorithm 2 [3/2] [UU_]
          [>....................]  recovery =  0.8% (16379688/1953512960) finish=100451.7min speed=321K/sec

unused devices: <none>

It does bounce up to say 1600K/ sec but not too much over that.

SMART still shows the drive good, however it is odd that the drive became removed from the raid to begin with..
    still lost here

Drew

• Offizieller Beitrag

I wouldn't trust that drive. Between raid losing it and the slow rebuild, just not worth it.

As for the cable, I never looked at it when I had my N40L apart. I know the connector on one end is a SFF-8087. I don't think it is that special of a cable connector-wise but the length probably is.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• forget the hassle of stripping the cable out. The empty slot showed it pretty clear. Your disk is nearly dead. You could run a SMART test on any window machine and it will shout at you :D

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!