Intel DH87RL problem with NIC

• I just installed OMV 1.0.20 on my brand new home build server PC. The mainboard is Intel DH87RL. Like many Haswell-owners, I'm experiencing problems with the NIC.

My question: from the topics I read Haswell NIC support was expected to be fixed with OMV 1.0. Is this the case? If not, do I need to follow this guide, or what is the right way to go?

Some background:
    After installation and first reboot, OMV was showing the IP address for the web interface, and I could access the web interface. I tried to upgrade all packages, but that didn't work (it just hanged, nothing happened ever after half an hour). After rebooting again, OMV did not show an IP address anymore. I couldn't figure it out, so I reinstalled OMV. At first, automatic network configuration failed. After disconnecting and reconnecting the network cable, it succeeded. And after first reboot, an IP address was showing again. All successive reboots do not show an IP address. I guess the network is working flaky at best.

So what to do? I'm quite the Linux noob, but I'd like to get it working anyway. OMV seems great for a DIY NAS.

• Thanks for the suggestion. I succesfully tried the guide that was linked in my original post. I now have e1000e.ko running as a module. For now networking seems to be fine.

I think a small write up about the current state of Haswell support would be great, a lot of people are asking questions about it. But I'm happy now anyway.

• No need to stick at the e1000e.ko file with an old driver version inside. You can install the backports kernel over omv-extras plugin and then install the newest network driver (3.1.0.2) for your Intel I217-V. ryecoaaron wrote a script and posted a small instruction in my thread: Server starts spontaneous on its own (Asus H87I-Plus). I haven't had any issues by installing and using omv 1.0.20 on my haswell boards (Asus H87I-Plus and ASRock Z87E-ITX) with this nic except the random power ups on both boards. Maybe you will be able to notice a similar behavior. If so, I would welcome your response. :)

• Thanks for your replies, guys. I had a busy couple of weeks so I had little time to work on OMV. But tonight I did, and I am still experiencing troubles with my IP address, it's still flaky. Most of the times I need to unplag my network cable, then reconnect it to get an IP address from my router's DHCP server. After replugging the cable, I use these command to get an IP lease:

Code
    dhclient -r eth0
    dhclient eth0

I ruled out the router (it's been replaced by another one) and the network cable (I tried several). The steps I took:

• fresh install of OMV 1.20
    • used information from this thread to update OMV using command omv-update (the web interface did not work for updates, nothing happened)
    • installed backports through OMV-extras (web interface)
    • installed recent intel driver with information from this thread (thanks sno0k!)
    • installed remaining updates through web admin (working now)

So currently I am on OMV 1.32. But still the problem with the IP address remains... I also tried configuring a fixed IP address, but that doesn't fix the problem. It seemed to work at first, but after rebooting the PC is not available on the network. Still have to unplug / replug.

Anything else I could try? I'm at a loss... starting to think of hardware issues.

• Zitat

I haven't had any issues by installing and using omv 1.0.20 on my
    haswell boards (Asus H87I-Plus and ASRock Z87E-ITX) with this nic except
    the random power ups on both boards. Maybe you will be able to notice a
    similar behavior. If so, I would welcome your response.

sno0k: I am unable to shutdown as well, it immediately reboots after shutdown.

• Thanks for your reply. Tested a lot the last weeks with minimal setups on both boards. At least the ASRock board works fine now. But I had to sell the Asus, because it constantly reboots no matter what I have tried.

• The rebooting thing seems to be a common issue on Haswell boards. For example, in this review of Intel DH87RL the rebooting problem on Linux is already mentioned as a known issue. On the Intel forums I found several topics about this (Haswell and Linux). Some people are lucky to solve it by accident it seems. E.g. by re-arranging or re-inserting their RAM memory. The only permanent solution is to disable Wake-on-LAN in the BIOS. That seemed to consistently 'fix' it. But you already knew that :)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!