Mirror/move OMV system disk and RAID 5 data disks to new machine?

• Hi everybody, total NOOB here, appreciate any "Betty Crocker" feedback anyone can give.

i have had OMV set up on an old Pentium 4 machine for a few months now with 5 WD red HDDs in Raid5. I've decided to upgrade the MB, Processor and the system drive to improve performance and increase longevity of the system drive (current system drive is VERY old and I fear will fail at some point soon).

I bought a WD red HDD to replace the current system drive, and a new MB, processor, case etc for a new build.

Questions:

1. Should I "mirror" the current system drive to the new one, or do a whole new install fro an ISO disk? If it's easier/better to copy the entire. sys drive, how do I do that?

2. Could someone give me step by step instructions on how to move/setup the 5 RAID data disks?can I just plug them in and select mount via the GUI?

• If you are on OMV 1.0 you can move/clone your systemdrive with clonezilla.
    I recommend a fresh installation of 1.0 without your datadisks, then plugin your datadisks and mount the RAID. OMV should recognize it
    If your MB is a newer one, you can try to install Kernel 3.16 with omvextras, see my sig.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I recommend a fresh installation of 1.0 without your datadisks, then plugin your datadisks and mount the RAID. OMV should recognize it
    If your MB is a newer one, you can try to install Kernel 3.16 with omvextras, see my sig.

That's what I did when I rebuilt.. Easy peasy. Just make sure you don't hook up the data drives before installing to minimize the risk of data loss..

• Thanks everybody. I did this and the fresh install with 1.0.20 recognized the RAID 5 I had on my old machine (it had OMV .5) but now I have a problem I can't figure out how to see any of the data files on it I've tried to set it up as a shared folder under access rights management, but doesn't seem to work but I know the files are still there because it shows the correct amount of used space under File Systems does anyone have any words of wisdom on how to access my data? Thanks much for any step by step instructions someone can provide. I'm very new to this. Thanks!

• Yes, I did that, but I couldn't access any of the folders or data I found it in file systems, mounted it and created a smb share, but cannot access any of the files.

Any thoughts?

• Yes, I did that. And I selected one that was called "data" under the directories. That didn't seem to show me any of my data, so I did it again and selected one of the directories that was for Plex media server. Nothing I tried would show me my files.

But now im really worried, because I tried to delete the shared folder I created after selecting the plex directory. And I stupidly selected to delete recursively. Word of warning,to everyone don't work on such things when you're sleep deprived!! Now, when I look at the raid under file systems, it is about 2TB less than before. So, please tell me that I can recover all my movie files. Or am I totally screwed?

thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just login with ssh and go to the mounted drive, and start checking with ls command what's present there.

Regarding the deletion, that's bad, but there is an application called testdisk (photorec) for recovering purposes and I've heard of extundelete also. The first one will give you the files back, but without the original names.
    Don't know about extundelete haven't use it.

• Thanks for the help! I decided after much swearing that it was easier to just wipe those raid drives and start completely fresh. Not ideal since I lost 2TB of burned DVDs, but that's not important. Just time consuming to replicate.

Now I can't get Plex media server to work right on the new install. Maddening! If I can't figure it out, I may start anew thread .

thanks again everybody!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wow.. I guess that's one way to handle it.

One time I needed to cut the grass... I found it easier to just move.

:)

Plex has been an issue for some folks on a new install, there's a couple threads on it.. it didn't give me any problems on a new install however.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!