PCI-E SATA Expansion Card - Native support?

• Good morning. First, I want to generously thank all of the folks that have developed and contributed to the development of Openmediavault, the plug-ins, the tutorials and their very helpful and reliable support through this forum and elsewhere. Though I just registered, I have spent long hours pouring through the forum as I started my NAS build and committed to using OMV as the OS. Thanks to all of the above the build, install, configuration and set-up went flawlessly.

I have one hardware support question though - that might be better suited to the Linux or Debian support sites, but here it is: The NAS Case I have (which I highly recommend to anyone contemplating a new build) provides hotswap trays for up to 8 3.5" HDD's (and 3 2.5 SDD's) The Motherboard (which I also highly recommend) provides 6 onboard SATA ports. One of my ports is committed to the system SSD, and the other 5 are committed to 5 of my media HDD's. In order to expand my storage for 2 more HDD's (which I need despite already having 20TB), I have installed a Startech 2 port SATA 6gbs PCI-E Card (4x) on the motherboard. I haven't found a suitable deal on two more 4TB drives yet, so no effort to use them, but the product says it is compatible with Windows, OSX and Linux kernel 2.6.36 or above. Manual says no driver install for Windows 8 and above because of native support, but has a driver disc and instructions to install for Windows 7 and below. Says nothing about the Linux install or drivers. I am taking that to mean that the card is natively supported in the Linux kernel or above. Has anybody else used such a card (I believe it uses Marvell controllers) - or know whether there is native support?

Thanks!

G Elliott

System:
    Silverstone Tek DS380B Mini-ITX DTX NAS Case
    Silverstone Tek 450W SFX PSU
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Intel Pentium G3420 3.2GHZ
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    Samsung EVO 120 GB SSD (System)
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)
    Openmediavault 4.1.8.2-1 (Arrakis)
    Plexmedia Server - remote media access
    XBMC - Kodi for local/home theater (SMB)

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the standard 3.2 kernel doesn't support it, I would guess the 3.16 backports kernel would (button to install in omv-extras).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron. I did install the backports kernel with other OMV-Extras - because I believed it may be needed for some of the other plugins - but don't really have an understanding of whether there is anything I need to do to "use" the backport kernel. If it is installed, is it automatically accessible to any service or hardward that needs it?

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

• Ah. Did a little homework on my own. . . now that I actually know what backports are I see the stupidity of my question. Thanks again though ryecoaaron.

G. Elliott

G Elliott

System:
    ASUS H87I-Plus Mini ITX
    Patriot G2 2x4 GB DDR3
    WD Black 4x4TB (Media)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!