Can't access SMB/CIFS Share: FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

• I just upgraded my OMV server from .5 to 1.0 (i believe i am at 1.0.29). I did not back up the old config file from my previous install as i wanted to start from scratch. i mounted my hard drives again, re-created users, re-established shared folders, and created the SMB/CIFS Shares. The first user i setup went fine, i was able to mount the share on my linux desktop. The second user is being more problematic. I tried to mount the share on another linux desktop and i am getting the following error in my log file:

smbd[28182]: check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [user2] -> [user2] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_WRONG_PASSWORD

I thought there was something jacked up with my password so i changed it to something ridiculously small and easy to type in the command line. I still can't get the share to mount properly. I am using the same syntax to mount both shares. the share mounted fine with the original setup. If it would be helpful i can post the line in my fstab i use to mount the shares. I can also up the log level if the error message i posted isn't enough information. If anybody has any ideas about what could be causing this please share, it's driving me crazy. Thanks, I really really appreciate the help.

Brian

• Zitat

Maybe you forgot to assign privileges to that share for that particular user2

Sorry, I forgot to mention that. I went through and double checked that the user2 had read/write privileges to the share.

• Offizieller Beitrag

A I forgot. This is to learn, maybe it can help you:

The shares section of samba when you make changes they go to smb.conf, but the daemon doesn't get restarted.
    From the general Samba section if you apply changes the daemon get's restarted. The same happens when you change privileges, they apply to smb.conf but the daemon doesn't get restarted. So sometimes samba is not aware of the changes.

Just take a look at /etc/samba/smb.conf and look for valid users directive if there setup properly and you can see user2 there, then restart with:

/etc/init.d/samba restart or enable disable in the webUI

• Sorry for the late reply. It was a long weekend and I was trying some different things.

I looked at the smb.conf file and the correct user names were listed under the share. I even restarted the samba service and still can't mount my share. I even tried changing my password and it still won't work. I created a new user and tried to mount that share but that didn't work, which is a whole other issue that i will have to start a new thread for, but I'm pretty confident the share isn't configured correctly.

What else can i check. I keep checking the syslog and it doesn't tell me anything super useful. I change the logging level to debug and the output totally confuses me. Would some log entries from debug level help? again, thanks for all the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe omv password is not syncing with samba (It was bug in the upgrade but solved). Do the following in CLI

smbpasswd user2

An type a new password and retype to confirm. Then go again and try to mount shares with those credentials. Make sure they are authorized with privileges, and restart daemon and everything.
    If you're still having problems report back (it might be permissions issue).

• GOT IT!!!!! I used the smbpasswd to change the password of user2, i couldn't mount the share though, but the syslog on the the server didn't tell me that my password was wrong this time. Also, i couldn't log into the web interface any longer. so i logged in as admin, and changed user2's password from the web interface, and again tried to mount the share. same thing happened, permission was denied but the server didn't tell me my password was wrong, so the new issue is permissions. I double checked my permissions and i guess they were all jacked up. To get everything to work i had to change the permissions of the top level directory that my users home directory sit under. Under the ACL tab in the access rights management area, i changed the user/group permissions for user2 and user3 to read/write, then under extra options owner is of course root, with read/write/execute, group is users with read only, and others no access. This made everything work fine, but i am confused as to why i had to change permissions of the the top level directory first. I was under the impression the home directory permissions were all i had to worry about. any insigt on that issue?

• I believe i am up to date. The last time i did updates on the server i remember it bringing me up to 1.0.29.

As for the guide you spoke of before. I found a guide here, but I'm not sure if it is the one you are speaking of, that one looks like a blog from an OMV user. Where do I find the guides section on the OMV website?

Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This one in our guides section Privileges and permissions explained under OMV

If you have omv-extras, you can submit a log report in the system information section, support info and send, post the ID here so I can take a look.

EDIT: This is important, by any chance your client (laptop, pc with windows) connecting to OMV has windows user2? or are u under user2 username in windows?

• Zitat

This one in our guides section Privileges and permissions explained under OMV

Thank you for the link to the guides section, i didn't think about checking the forum for guides...boy is my face red....

Zitat

If you have omv-extras, you can submit a log report in the system information section, support info and send, post the ID here so I can take a look.

I have the omv-extras activated so i will work on getting you the log file later tonight or early tomorrow morning

Zitat

EDIT: This is important, by any chance your client (laptop, pc with windows) connecting to OMV has windows user2? or are u under user2 username in windows?

Sorry, but i got confused by this question so i will give information on what i think you are asking. I use user2 as my username when i mount the share on my linux machine, windows 7 and windows XP machines. user3 always mounts the share in windows Vista (and someday soon, windows 8). does it create problems mounting the share using the same username with both windows and linux?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sorry, but i got confused by this question so i will give information on what i think you are asking. I use user2 as my username when i mount the share on my linux machine, windows 7 and windows XP machines. user3 always mounts the share in windows Vista (and someday soon, windows 8). does it create problems mounting the share using the same username with both windows and linux?

in omv webUI you've created user1, user2 and user3 and their passwords

In a windows environment when you setup your account in your installation process. If I recall you usually give a Full Name (let's say John Doe) and username (jdoe). This short username is by any chance the same as for example the ones in OMV?

Hope I'd explained well

• Zitat

In a windows environment when you setup your account in your installation process. If I recall you usually give a Full Name (let's say John Doe) and username (jdoe). This short username is by any chance the same as for example the ones in OMV?

On my OMV server, i created a user brian. On my linux machine, i setup my user account with full name Brian Hayward, username brian. On my windows machine, i again setup the user account with full name Brian Hayward, but i am unsure of what my username is, i've never been curious enough to check. I will do that after work as well. Lets say that my windows machine was set up with full name John Doe, username john, but i mount my samba share with username brian, will i not be able to mount the share? Will permissions get screwed up? what problems might arise doing that?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok identical usernames provide conflict in Guest allowed (or guest only) option usage. Windows always send the logged username credentials first. If you have guest allowed disable it. And test again (remember always to restart the daemon, and delete the share in windows cache, check with net use in cmd)

If it fails, then try and set up the same passwords in omv and windows and let me know how it goes. Also try and reset the mess with ACL, they tend to produce more problems than benefits. Use only privileges.

The identical username is a known problem.

• Zitat

Ok identical usernames provide conflict in Guest allowed (or guest only) option usage.

I never use the guest option.

Zitat

Windows always send the logged username credentials first

Are you telling me that Windows will first send the credentials of the user logged in first? For example if i am logged in to my windows machine as John Doe, username: john, password: 1234, windows will try to mount the share with username: john, password: 1234?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Something like that, but in the usage of public folder (win7 only apparently). Take a look here:

http://serverfault.com/questio…keeps-asking-for-password

But in your case i am curious about the password issue sync. Passwords should be the same, omv and samba.
    Unless you have a mess with the posix file system permissions. If you want to reset those ACL and go back to default is with:

chmod 775 -R /pathtotheshared/share/
    chown root:users -R /pathtotheshared/share/

delete ACL's

setfacl -bR /pathtotheshared/share/

And set privileges accordingly in the webUI

• Zitat

But in your case i am curious about the password issue sync. Passwords should be the same, omv and samba.

I was curious about that too, i thought the issue was caused by upgrading to OMV 1.0...but i did a clean install, i did not do a distribution upgrade so all the users were created from scratch. I will do some more testing after work, but I'm pretty sure after i used smbpasswd to change the password everything seems to be working fine. i changed the password again in the web interface and i was able to mount the share on my linux machine. I will change the password some more times tonight after work and post my results.

My next question for you was, how do i reset ACL's. Thank you for sharing the steps. I will also do that tonight after work as well. This time i will log in with both my linux and windows machine.

One other question, if i have documents in my share that i want to access with both my linux machine and windows machine how would i set that up. Would webdav be better in that instance rather than a samba share?

Again, thank you for all your help. I seriously appreciate it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since they moved away from apache (nginx now as http engine) the webdav plugin was left behind. Is an authentication problem. Some here are trying to bring back webdav plugin using nginx with a PAM, so users can authenticate against omv, like before.
    For now I would said better to stay with samba, if you want remote access to those shares use FTP or a VPN

EDIT: Regarding identical username, I was testing in a VM, and then problem is still there whether is public or not. identical username and password will log straight into the share, without password asking

• Offizieller Beitrag

hk-47 made some big changes to the webdav plugin (now uses sabredav to provide webdav) and I am going to start testing tomorrow.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!