Cannot get OMV to boot

• Hello,

Well after using successfully for about a year I came home today and my system (HP Proliant N54L) had crashed. I rebooted but could not get in via ssh, the system was not showing up on the network. At this stage I was left with a grub rescue prompt, from which I could not rescue grub as the drive (ssd) could not be mounted. I then managed to restore grub using "Rescatux" as I had all sorts of trouble getting the drive to mount due to bad superblocks etc. Anyway, I finally got it to mount and reloaded grub, so now when I boot I am presented with the grub options.

When I boot normally I get a message about i8042 controller not found and then I am left at a prompt which shows "(none) login:" No matter what I try to log in with I cannot login.

I then boot in recovery mode and the system boots. However, when I try to run any commands I get a plethora of different errors, i.e. I cannot update the system, I cannot run omv-firstaid (usr/bin/omv-firstaid:32 cant open /etc/default/openmediavault) . . . everything I do just hits me with different errors, like I dont have permission or something, even though the commands are being run as root.

Im not really sure what to do, I have been trying to fix all night and cannot get the system to do anything responsive.

Any advice appreciated.
    C

• Im going to do a reinstall of my system, seeing as it is an upgraded system. It seems pretty much un-recoverable otherwise.

To ease the pain, when I follow this guide;
    http://forums.openmediavault.o…-of-OpenMediaVault-1-0-X/
    I backup the config.xml. . . . what the guide doesnt say is at which stage to reinstate the backed-up config.xml? Do I do it after the fresh installation and will it then reinstate all my plugins etc? Or is it just a reference to assist in remembering your settings which you then have to re-input manually through the interface?

Many thanks

C

• Offizieller Beitrag

Think about it... You're going to reinstall, because you're having several problems... and you're asking how after reinstalling, you can reinstall things from the previous install (that isn't working properly)... Does that make sense?

If you're going to reinstall because you're having problems.. Reinstall.. and do it all over.

What specific model is that Kingston SSD? If it's one of those ReadyCache drives.. then it likely is the source of your problem..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!