change the DPI resolution

• I am not sure that this will work for you, but it is probably worth a try.

Open /etc/default/grub using for example nano

Uncomment and change resolution for the GRUB_GFX_MODE:

Code
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

Set the resolution as low as you want, you can try some different combinations according to below link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_display_standard

After the GRUB_GFXMODE line you should also add the following

Code
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX='keep'

For the changes to be effective you then need to run

Code
    update-grub

...and then reboot.

Now your grub menu and Linux command line interface should have another resolution.

Good luck!

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "MALOW"

Because this monitor will be on my new chasis box for OpenMediaVault server.

That's fine, but you're missing my point.... OMV is really designed to be headless... so if the dpi of this "display" is that big of an annoyance, just don't use a display on your server. All you need is a temporary display so you can setup/install the OS, then after that, just do it all via SSH.

• Zitat von "KM0201"

That's fine, but you're missing my point.... OMV is really designed to be headless... so if the dpi of this "display" is that big of an annoyance, just don't use a display on your server. All you need is a temporary display so you can setup/install the OS, then after that, just do it all via SSH.

Hello, simply I have a small monitor and it wanted to take advantage of it for my new box that I am making for my OMV server.

Hello, I've made the changes you told me and now OMV will not start, freezes on "Loading initial ramdisk"

EDIT: I connected the HDD to my tower, I put a live cd (Linux Mint), I edited the /etc/default/grub and /boot/grub/grub.cfg and I deleted GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX = 'keep' and I already restarted my OMV.

IT REMAINS LIKE THAT.
    Thanks.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You probably set a resolution that is out of range for that display.

I doubt trying to make this change the way you did with your Mint machine, is going to work. If you just browsed to the folder/file and made to the changes... You're *probably* going to have to chroot the drive, and run update-grub2 (ie.. Just running update-grub from the Live CD, if you did not chroot the drive, will not work).

Since I'm assuming you're going to end up reinstalling, and you're still going to try and figure this out... What graphics chipset does your NAS motherboard have? If it has a Linux graphics driver... it would be smarter to try and install that to address this situation, as it probably has a resolution that will fit the 7in screen.

I guess my final question is, why do you want a display on your NAS? If it's just "because I do", then that's fine... I just can't understand why having a display on a NAS would be so important. I don't see that screen working the way you want it to.

I still think this is much ado about nothing, but.. Good luck with it.

• Well one big issue is the composite signal. Not good for text. The resolution is already low. The only way you can make it readable, is at 320x240, and even then is not going to be practical.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!