Using VPN client for Transmission only?

• Hi,

I am about to purchase a VPN service. It has different ways to configure. Either you can install it to Linux via a .deb -file or they have OpenVPN configuration-file, or PPTP or DD-WRT.

What I want to do is to route all Transmission-traffic through this VPN. But I would rather not route everything else trough it, as I use my OMV-server to stream Movies etc, and might suffer from slow internet if put trough the VPN.

What is the best way? From what I understand you can setup your router to do this, but then everything will go trough VPN, which i don't want. Or with OpenVPN on OMV, how do I do that? And will I be able to only use VPN on transmission?

Thank you in advance.
    This is the service I will choose:
    https://mullvad.net/en/

• The openvpn client method is very easy. It should not mess with your local traffic if that is what you are worried about.

Option 2: root (I would probably run this with another user. It may be need to see init script.)
    apt-get install openvpn (resolvconf is already installed)
    Extract the configuration files into /etc/openvpn/
    Start with /etc/init.d/openvpn start

It will route all your OMV internet traffic through the vpn service though. But I think you should be doing this. You can turn off the service when you do not need it.

You can use this in command line to check your wan ip before and after the service is turned on:

Code
    curl -s http://ifconfig.me

• I have already installed the OpenVPN plugin trough OMV-plugins. Is it enough to just extract the OpenVPN configuration-files I received from "Mullvad" to /etc/openvpn/. And after Start with /etc/init.d/openvpn start it should work?

Is it possible to switch it on or off trough OMV's web interface? Or do I have to go through SSH?

And once again, is there any chance to get VPN with Transmission only and not all traffic?

Thank you!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!