OpenVPN with FrootVPN

• Yes, most VPN providers don't support IPv6. FrootVPN is free though, which is why I'd like to get it working.

Anyway, after sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=0, it was able to connect. It closed off the SSH session, which was using the WAN IP, which probably means that all traffic is now going through the VPN. The WebUI now lists a tun0 connection with a new IP. I can reconnect SSH through that IP.

So how I can get this to work permanently after every reboot?

• So now, what would I need to put into the /etc/rc.local to make it connect to the VPN on boot? Something like this?

Code
    sysctl -w net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=0
    openvpn /etc/openvpn/frootvpn.ovpn
    exit 0
  • Ok, so to summarize and set this thread to Resolved so that it might be of some use to other folks, here is the solution to get FrootVPN service to work on OMV with OpenVPN.

1) Follow steps 1 and 2 provided by FrootVPN here: https://www.frootvpn.com/guides/linuxdebian-19.html
    2) cp /etc/openvpn/frootvpn.ovpn /etc/openvpn/frootvpn.conf This is required to start openvpn as a service.
    3) Edit/etc/openvpn/frootvpn.conf and change auth-user-pass to auth-user-pass pass.txt.
    4) Create /etc/openvpn/pass.txt as a two-line pass.txt file containing the login and password for the FrootVPN service.
    5) Edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the line net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=0.
    6) Edit /etc/sysctl.d/99-openmediavault.conf and set net.ipv6.conf.default.disable_ipv6=1 to 0.
    7) Reboot and start OpenVPN as a service with /etc/init.d/openvpn start

To verify that the VPN is running, the tun0 interface should appear in the OMV WebUI with the new VPN WAN IP.

Thanks tekkb and subzero!

• I just tried this and everything works. the service starts automatically on reboot but it doesnt automatically login to frootvpn

In addition to changing auth-user-pass to auth-user-pass pass.txt in the .conf file, I also changed that line in the ovpn file and it seems to auto connect me when the machine starts up. I believe this it OK to do?

• I just followed these steps and it is also working fine for me!

One question though. I want to tunnel JDownloader through the VPN adapter. Is it possible that the user jdownloader can only use tun0? And if tun0 doesn't exist, it just shouldn't connect at all.

Thanks!

• You can bind a user to a specific adapter as far as I know...:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=bind+user+to+specific+ethernet+adapter

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!