OMV will not mount my Raid 1

• Greetings,

I'm new here aand have been looking for a solution to my problem. I have a raid 1 1TB array gpt ext4 filesystem. I recently moved it over to an old box sitting around doing nothing. I stuck my I/O Crest SATA card in a plugged in my disks. I try to mount the /dev/md127p1 and I get the below error message. At the bottom I have attached a dump of my system settings/specs.

Tia,

Couch

• Did you try to mount it again with the latest update, which was just released today?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• It should do it anyway. Let ryecoaaron take a look at this, he is our raid guy ;)

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I have never tried to mount a raid array with a partition in OMV. That may be the problem. Let me try.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't mount a partition within a raid array either. Either that changed with all the filesystem changes lately or it never has been able to. OMV doesn't use partitions with raid so you will have to suggest this as a change on bugtracker.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• "Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

• ryecoaaron,

I don't understand when you say omv doesn't use partitions with raid. How does one write to a disk w/o one? lvm? When I attempt to create a share, I note that the vernacular says to select a Volume. What are we talking about regarding volumes vs. partions?

BTW thanks all for your replies. I did make a change to the connections for the raid. Apparently, (I don't know if this matters) I had my disks bassakwards. sdb1 was first and sda1 was second. I moved a cable to another post on my raid card. started the system back up and was able to re-add the 'failed' drive and had the raid rebuild. For now it is recognized as clean.

Code
    ================================================================================
    = Block device attributes
    ================================================================================
    /dev/sda1: UUID="45107174-f2f6-ca6a-ebc0-77a39739e3b9" UUID_SUB="96aa0dfd-eac1-7c1f-d937-1d6d10b54e33" LABEL="tz-desktop:127" TYPE="linux_raid_member"
    /dev/sdb1: UUID="cdd8f641-baf9-4646-89de-0c1111310f66" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/md127p1: UUID="505c964b-6e64-4c96-8464-c442abebd31d" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc1: UUID="fdd00224-d1bb-43ea-b061-ed849f7e4a18" TYPE="ext4"
    /dev/sdc5: UUID="97ad38d5-fba9-46c7-90ec-cdcda75ac262" TYPE="swap"

I was wondering from looking at the above section that sda1 is recognized as a linux_raid_member but sdb1 is not.

Above the original device for my raid was md127, I can only manually mount /dev/md127p1 yet in raid mangement section, only /dev/md127 is displayed. in the file systems section, /dev/md127p1 appears and of course the webgui won't mount it and I cannot share what I cannot mount.

Version: OMV 5.6.26-1 (USUL)

Kernel: 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64

Intel Core(tm) i3-4130 @3.40Ghz

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can mount an mdadm array without partitions. You format the array itself (ie /dev/md127) with no lvm needed. Your array has partitions on it which Volker has fixed the mounting. A volume is a formatted filesystem whether it is on a partition or raid array.

• mdadm has two types of operation. One is that it creates partitions on each disk and forms that into a RAID Array. The other is that it just uses those hard disks, without further do, and forms them into a RAID Array, without underlying partitions on each disk.

Your RAID Array is made via the first option. OpenMediaVault uses the second for RAID Arrays.

If you use the whole drive anyway it doesn't make any difference which you use, but since OpenMediaVault does not support partitions there is no need to use them either.

Greetings
    David

• Offizieller Beitrag

Not to confuse the issue but you can actually make an array on top of partitions and then create partitions on top of the array :)

• Thanks ryecoaaron & davidh2k

I Just ran updates and I can mount and share my raid device now :). Thanks for all your help. Next up playing with it!

Version: OMV 5.6.26-1 (USUL)

Kernel: 5.10.0-0.bpo.9-amd64

Intel Core(tm) i3-4130 @3.40Ghz

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!