• Hi

in my search to replace my old Windows Home Server i first stumbled upon the idea of an Open Source OS für my new Data Storage but can't decide at the moment which one would be the most suitable for me FreeNAS, NAS4Free or OpenMediaVault. What i want in the first place is a Data Storge which provides Raid 5 security for important Data and much storage capacity for minor important files. it should provide dlna support to stream movies musik and so on, bitorrent and Wake-On-Lan as major points and it should be easy to use and be maintained as i am a newbee and used to WHS. i have already some ideas for the used hardware:

Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H
    Intel Core i3-3220T
    G.Skill RipJawsZ DIMM Kit 32GB PC3-12800U CL10-10-10-30
    Fractal Design Define Mini

I want to build the thing from scratch with the ability to add as much disk space as necessary - like in the end 6 or 8 disks. So i would like to hear some opinions upon this maybe someone could give me advice or hint. that would be great :)

thx in advance

• Offizieller Beitrag

OMV would be your best bet :)

That setup is definitely overkill. I have an 8 disk raid 5 setup with only two gigs of ram that does what you need. See my signature. Your setup would run a couple of virtual machines as well!

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• i know i know it's a bit oversized for just data storage but in case i decide to run a minecraft server or something similar.. or as you said a virtual machine on the server i don't want to have the problem that the hardware can't keep up with the task. that is the problem i have with my WHS at the moment. it is slow and i can't use hard disk bigger that 2 TB due hardware limitations. I don't want this to happen again :-/

do you use ZFSRaidz1for your raid config? I read much about ZFS in the last weeks as the best choice and that it need lots of RAM.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "rhadamanthus"

do you use ZFSRaidz1for your raid config? I read much about ZFS in the last weeks as the best choice and that it need lots of RAM.

Nope. Thought about it and btrfs but never wanted to (or had the space to) move 10 TB of stuff around. Linux software raid 5 works for me. It will saturate gigabit ethernet and is easy to grow.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• ah ok ... sorry to ask ...you did create the software raid with OMV ? Did you test the read/write performance with this config? I'm new to Linux n stuff is it very difficult to configure such NAS?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I did create the raid 5 setup with OMV and it was very easy. Performance is excellent.

• ok cool so i'll give OMV a try :) when i don't need so much RAM i think i can change to another hw config. what about this one?
    ASUS P8H77-I, H77 (Sockel-1155, dual PC3-12800U DDR3)
    G.Skill RipJaws-X DIMM Kit 16GB PC3-10667U
    Intel Core i3-3220T
    Lian Li PC-Q25B black, Mini-DTX/Mini-ITX
    16 GB Verbatim Store `n` Go V3 blau USB 3.0 for the operating system

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks good other than I wouldn't use a usb stick for the operating system. A small laptop hard drive is a much better option.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You could use a usb hard drive.

• Offizieller Beitrag

It doesn't have to be USB 3.0. A usb stick has a maximum amount of writes and wears out. A hard drive won't do that. The speed is almost irrelevant because it is just the system drive. The data drives need to be fast.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Neat. Should work well.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "rhadamanthus"

http://www.inline-info.de/art/…RAIDund2fachHDDCaddy.html

never thought of such solution but when you think of it its quiet ingeniously

Now that is slick.. wonder if I could find something like that here in the states.

• Offizieller Beitrag
    Zitat von "KM0201"

Now that is slick.. wonder if I could find something like that here in the states.

Yep, Syba makes one. Amazon and Newegg both carry it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!