New Build - Growing/Upgrading RAID

• Hi,

I'm busy planning a new build having recently purchased an HP Microserver N40L.

I'd like to start with two 3TB drives and over time add a third and fourth drive to eventually have RAID 5 (9TB storage, 3TB parity drive). I believe it is possible to grow a RAID array. What is the best way to start the RAID array? Possibly 2 Drives as RAID 0/1 and then grow it to RAID 5 when I get a third drive? I believe this can be quite tricky, is it doable or should I fork out now for 3 drives RAID 5 and then grow it to 4 drives?

Thank you for any assistance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Raid 0 would offer you no protection. Raid 1 would only give you 3 tb of space. You could manually setup raid 5 without the parity drive if you weren't concerned about data loss (same as raid 0) until you get the third drive. I would just save all the hassle and get the third drive now.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I intend to do same, but I do have a question?
    What would be the best filesystem to use with it? EXT3,EXT4, XFS or JFS?
    After installing three drivers and using RAID5. It is possible to grow the RAID adding a new disk and after that, it is possible to grow the filesystem?
    Thanks in advance.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The best filesystem is a personal preference and depends on what you are using it for. Yes, you can grow the filesystem. Just use the following commands while unmounted.

e2fsck -f /dev/mdX
    resize2fs /dev/mdX

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I would personally use XFS.

At work, my organization had deployed many desktops under Linux Ubuntu, using EXT3, and we had to reinstall everything with XFS ... because of data loss problems by some users ...

I use Openmediavault with XFS on RAID5 / LVM, it's perfect.

omv 2.x omv 3.x (testing) - AMD CPU - RAM ECC 8x4TB RAID6 + 4x3TB RAID5 - SSD 4GB for system

• Upgrowing a RAID on which a logical volume is installed with a XFS file system on it, it seems that everything can be done using WebGUI ... except resizing the physical volume, what requires a pvresize command.

I understand that the procedure is, after the new volume is physically added to the system :

In Web GUI :

System->Storage->RAID->Grow

RAID is resyncing and recovering

In a shell

Code
    pvresize /dev/md<XXX>

In Web GUI :

System->Storage->LVM->Logical Volume->Extend

System->File Systems->Resize

It's a little too bad to have to return to shell just for one command, isn't it ?

omv 2.x omv 3.x (testing) - AMD CPU - RAM ECC 8x4TB RAID6 + 4x3TB RAID5 - SSD 4GB for system

• Zitat von "fpabernard"

I would personally use XFS.

At work, my organization had deployed many desktops under Linux Ubuntu, using EXT3, and we had to reinstall everything with XFS ... because of data loss problems by some users ...

I use Openmediavault with XFS on RAID5 / LVM, it's perfect.

I'm in the process of setting up my own OMV server for the first time and doing research, when I cam accross this very useful thread.

I have a question though, if your drives are already in a RAID, why LVM? Do you have multiple raids and have grouped them together in one logical volume?

• Zitat von "JDMorrison"

I'm in the process of setting up my own OMV server for the first time and doing research, when I cam accross this very useful thread.

I have a question though, if your drives are already in a RAID, why LVM? Do you have multiple raids and have grouped them together in one logical volume?

Because if you extend your RAID one day, you can easily extend the physical volume, volume group and the logical volume.

• Zitat von "fpabernard"

Hum !!!

In the documentation of mdadm, they say you can change level of RAID1 to RAID5

See my post here : http://forums.openmediavault.o…pic.php?f=11&t=1063#p3772

Okay, to be more specific:
    You cannot upgrade Raid1 to Raid5 with the current version of OMV.

And yes, I know that this is possible with newer kernels and mdadm versions, but starting with backports in that environment is definately beyond normal users capabilities. That is the reason why I would not recommend it here.

Everything is possible, sometimes it requires Google to find out how.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!