Backup setup: RAID 1 vs rsnapshot

• Hi folk!

I have a question regarding a backup setup. Here is my use case.

• Dell Power Edge T20 home server
    • SSD as system drive
    • 2x WD Red, 2 TB
    • ~350 GB of photos (sure will slowly but continuously grow)
    • ~ <50 GB of music

I would like to have a backup of all my photos / music and if I understand it correctly I have 2 options:

• Setup RAID 1 on both HDDs
    • Use rsnapshot to copy data (e.g. daily) from Source to Backup HDD

Which Pros and Cons should I consider? What is better for my use case?

Thanks!

• A raid no matter of which type was never meant to be a substitute for a backup. A raid should make sure that system availablitity continues in case of a disk failure.

A backup to an external disk is of course the better solution and keep them up to date. And check the operability of the external disk from time to time, they sometimes die even if they lay around unused in a locker.
    I use rsync jobs controlled by cron to make differential backups every day to a second NAS at home and once or twice a month I sync the data to external disks.

Homebox: Bitfenix Prodigy Case, ASUS E45M1-I DELUXE ITX, 8GB RAM, 5x 4TB HGST Raid-5 Data, 1x 320GB 2,5" WD Bootdrive via eSATA from the backside
    Companybox 1: Standard Midi-Tower, Intel S3420 MoBo, Xeon 3450 CPU, 16GB RAM, 5x 2TB Seagate Data, 1x 80GB Samsung Bootdrive - testing for iSCSI to ESXi-Hosts
    Companybox 2: 19" Rackservercase 4HE, Intel S975XBX2 MoBo, C2D@2200MHz, 8GB RAM, HP P212 Raidcontroller, 4x 1TB WD Raid-0 Data, 80GB Samsung Bootdrive, Intel 1000Pro DualPort (Bonded in a VLAN) - Temp-NFS-storage for ESXi-Hosts

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just to repeat what datadigger said, because to many people constantly refer to raid 1 as a backup... aid raid 1 (or any level of raid) is not a backup. I'd strongly prefer some automatic rsync jobs to handle having additional copies of the data on the NAS on different drives. I've never used rsnapshot, but I've used rsync in this scenario for a while and it works well.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!