Samba Share Types in OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, I have tried a couple of things that you've kindly suggested, but there is no change. Idk where the "Guests allowed" setting is so I didn't enable that.

Per the screen shot above, you'd have to go to the affected SMB share and go into edit mode. Guests allowed is a setting near the top.
    (But this will only be useful if changes are actually registered.)

In any case, the message "Pending configuration changes. You must apply these changes in order for them to take effect" always appears at the top of the window, and every time I try to apply them I get the "failed to execute command export ..." error mentioned before. It looks to me like there is some kind of auto-generated script to execute omv-salt deploy run, etc., but the script is malformed.

I have no idea if any of the changes I'm attempting are happening. Shouldn't this script error be resolved first?

Thanks, @ryecoarron, for looking at this error.

• Offizieller Beitrag

"samba",

"avahi"

Run: sudo omv-salt deploy run samba avahi If there are errors, post the output. If that exits with no errors, then you can echo "[]" | sudo tee /var/lib/openmediavault/dirtymodules.json to clear the apply banner in the web interface.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Run: sudo omv-salt deploy run samba avahi If there are errors, post the output.

Maybe this is the problem?

----------

ID: start_samba_service_nmbd

Function: service.running

Name: nmbd

Result: False

Comment: Failed to start nmbd.service: Unit nmbd.service is masked.

Started: 09:39:13.835680

Duration: 41.101 ms

Changes:

• Offizieller Beitrag

sudo systemctl unmask nmbd then run the command again.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• You could try setting the Shared Folder to "Others" Read/Write/Execute AND the Group users to Read/Write/Execute. Set the SMB share to "Guests Allowed". Then see what happens. (This is wide open permissions for all clients on the local LAN.)

Okay, tried this, but I am still getting a permissions violation. The problem is the same: when I copy a folder from the mac client to OMV, it gets created with 'drw-rwsr-x' permissions, and the attempt to copy the files inside the folder then fails.

Regarding my network configuration, the mac firewall is off. I'm not using DHCP. The router (OpenWRT) assigns a static address to the mac. Lastly, the mac is connected via a dedicated ethernet connection, not WiFi. AFAIK, none of this network config has changed since OMV started giving me permissions errors.

I tend to rule out any network issues for the following reason: if I create a folder on the OMV share using the mac Finder, it gets created with 'drwxrwsr-x' permissions, while if I try copying a folder, it gets created with 'drw-rwsr-x' permissions, as mentioned above, and then I'm told I don't have permission to access 'some items'. So it seems like whatever is happening is at a higher level than UDP/TCP.

I don't know why mac OS behaves differently for copying, but it worked okay before I upgraded OMV.

I tried recreating the share, enabling only Browsable and Hide dot files — but the problem persists.

EDIT: I may have found the problem!

On Services > SMB/CIFS > Shares > Edit, I tried enabling Inherit Permissions on the share, applying changes, and it seems to work now. Is this the expected behavior?

Also, some of my other shares have Inherit ACLs enabled. Am not sure why, but maybe I did this when I created them because I was trying to use ACLs. I'm going to try and avoid ACLs from now on, and only use groups and standard privileges, so should I turn off Inherit ACLs ... ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

(1) Yes. This is what you want. This setting is not a default but changing this setting is in the -> OMV6 User Guide.

(2) Interestingly, inherit ACL's is a default in OMV5 but not in OMV6. (That could be a difference between Debian 10 and Debian 11.) It won't hurt to leave this on. It has to do with passing ACL's from a parent folder (if they exist) down to child files and folders.

(3) Good - don't use ACL's in the base Shared Folder of a network share. They don't mix well with standard permissions, they create too many complexities, and they're completely unnecessary for home use.

(4) See #2. This "shouldn't" be necessary for a Samba share but since you're using a Mac...?? You could test it. If your Mac works with it off, turn it off. (And let us know.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!