• Hi,

on my NAS i can controll the fans by simple bash-commands, so I set up a bash-script which controlls the fan by CPU-Temperature and the active/idle-state of the Harddrives.
    It's a simple solution:

You need to install and set up hdparm and hwmon to use it.
    It's very simple - but it does what it should.

-> When one HDD is active it starts the fans in the side of the case
    -> it starts the fan in the back of the case when the cpu reaches different temperature levels.

You can exceute this script in an endless-loop by removing the # in the script. I've set up a cron-job which runs it every minute.

• I like this script but have to little knowledge of linux to implement it.

Can you give me more instructions how to set up hdparm and hwmon for a N40L microserver.

I think my N40L has only one back fan. Where I have to copy the script too ? ?

• Yeah I know that fancontrol is in the debian repos - problem was that it couldn't handle the temperature or the active/idle-state of the harddrives. (I don't remeber the exact reason why I couldn't use it ;) )
    But it's been a while since I'm using the script above, and for me it works pretty well.
    Another problem is, when you check the temperature of the harddrives, it could be, that they are spinning up every time.

• Yeah, with fancontrol you can't control the fan based on the state of the hdds.
    So with the script, if every hdd is in idle state the fan on the side of the case are completely off. This was something I couldn't achieve with fancontrol. The part with the cpu and the other fan is just for fun :)

Seems like somebody saw the problem -> https://github.com/desbma/hddfancontrol

• Is it possible to use a fan controller via PCI (possibly using USB as a middleman)?
    I'm using OMV inside a VM on my system, so the fans are still controlled by ESXi. However letting the VM control the fans, using the active/idle status, is an intriguing idea. I'm only talking about the fans near the disks though, the CPU fan shall still be controlled by the hypervisor.

ESXi: SM X9SCA-F || Xeon E3-1220LV2 || Kingston ECC 16GB DDR3-1333 || 2x IBM M1015 (IT) || 38TB raw || Chenbro SR11269

• Offizieller Beitrag

I doubt you can control the fans from a guest OS.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• As we learned the script from Hexcode seems to the better alternative.

Can pls somebody explain for a linux newbie how to implement it on a N40L .

On the N40L the fan is almost silent. the main fan cools down the hard drives and the CPU at the same time (there's no active cooling on the CPU)...why do you need to stop the fan? are you trying to save 1.5W of power?

• On the N40L the fan is almost silent. the main fan cools down the hard drives and the CPU at the same time (there's no active cooling on the CPU)...why do you need to stop the fan? are you trying to save 1.5W of power?

That's not the point to save that 1.5 W. And I don't want to stop the fan completely. Fan speed should be run slower according to the cpu / hdd temp. The N40L is about 2 m from my desk and I can her the fan clearly / well.

So I like the fan speed control just bcs of lower noise.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!