Flashing cursor when rebooting / Blackscreen

• Hello OMV-Community!
    I have a problem with my NAS. When I reboot over GUI/CLI, the NAS will get stuck most of the time (after the reboot), when GRUB should show up and pick the default kernel. The only thing I get is the somewhat known flashing cursor and nothing else. Sometimes I also get a dark screen without output to the monitor, directly after it halted the server and stopped all services - no HDD activity (only spinning) and the server LED wont turn off and it doesnt react anymore (directly after shutting down everything). It just won't do anything, no activity on the drives. In this case, I have to hard reset the server. Sometimes the reboots work fine multiple times in a row. Shutdown + WoL works fine every time.

Specs:
    http://geizhals.de/?cat=WL-490313
    + Apacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive -> http://www.mouser.de/ProductDe…a%252bvpz4b%2FxsA6w%3D%3D / -> http://www.digchip.com/datashe…AP-SAFD18BQA032GS-EML.php
    + 4GB Corsair SODIMM DDR3 -> http://www.corsair.com/en-us/v…ade-kit-cmsx4gx3m1a1600c9

Installed UEFI is 1.40 (newest version)
    Legacy Mode is ON
    AHCI Mode is ON
    (any HDD/SSD power management options are disabled, also in OMV itself)
    C7 State
    Suspend to RAM OFF
    Bootdevice #1 is the SSD
    Bootdevice #2 is DISABLED
    Some other devices are also disabled (HDMI-Audio/Serial Ports etc.)

System version: 1.6

Currently used kernel: Backports 3.16-0.bpo.2-amd64
    (Same problems occur under the 3.2.0-4-amd64 kernel)

Currently installed Backupsystems over the Backup Plugin: Clonezilla and GParted Live (GRUB entries set)

Support Info: http://pastebin.com/pyuPdw8r

Thank you in advance!

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

3 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• Had this problem since the very beginning - Yes it is new. You know my problem already, I'm "ImHereForTheLulz" from the #openmediavault IRC-Chan :P

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

• Yep and I already did that multiple times.

• Good idea, but thats not possible for the moment - I would have to backup the whole OS, write ubuntu or another distro to it and test it out - my stepfather would not be pleased, if he couldnt access his files anymore. lol

• I have seen such behaviour (allthough not reproduceable) on a system without UEFI too. I think the Mainboard mixes up something with the boot order or so...

Greetigs
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Do you mean how old it is (usage time) or when it was released?
    See the links in the first post for the specs - I dont really know when it was released actually, but I got it from a friend and he said it was in a industrial tablet with XP - and the tablet is now about 6 years old. It was used in a company somewhere and he got it from eBay, but didnt use it. (I use it for ca. 2 weeks)

I can post you some smartlogs if you want - Something is also weird with the SSD. I get SMART erros sometimes when i have to force shutdown the system (reboot fail for example) but it always resets back to 0 when the next error comes. Examples:

1 more information: The SSD (SATA1) is currently at a SATA3 port but I think this doesnt make any difference? But I think I will try a native SATA2 port soon - The SATA3 ports are from a ASMedia Chipset. I will also try it with ubuntu/kubuntu soon.

"- 2 x SATA2 3.0 Gb/s Connectors, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug
    - 2 x SATA3 6.0 Gb/s Connectors by ASMedia ASM1061, support NCQ, AHCI and Hot Plug"

Thanks for your help.

• Yeah, i have plenty of hardware here - Will try a 2,5" SATA(1?) HDD drive soon.

Edit: I think the SSD is not defect as I said and shown, the SMART errors reset always to 0, it is probably a compatibility issue with UEFI.

• Update: Cloned the installation to a 80GB 2,5" HDD with clonezilla. The problem remains. Blinking cursor when OMV should reboot...

Code
    /dev/sda
    FUJITSU MHV2080BH
    892C

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10

4 Mal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• Whats the difference between code tags and quote tags? The latter fill up my mobile screen and make me scroll en masse...

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• As you wish, sire.

• -Tried a fresh OMV install to the 2,5" HDD
    -Changed a few settings in the UEFI and retried one by one

Same problem persists.

Next step: Installing Ubuntu 64bit

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

• ubuntu-14.04.1-desktop-amd64 reboots work fine with the standard installation...
    Then it must be a debian or GRUB related problem. Any ideas?

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Nyctophilia ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!