New installation 1.0.20, black screen

• Hello!

I have installed a new omv from 1.0.20 iso file, everything work great during installation. But when I try to start up after the installation is finished, I only got few lines with text, and then the screen goes black and I only hear a beep. (the normal beep when the system is started). Nothing appear on the screen, what could be wrong?? Something which should be disabled/enabled in the bios or??

Regards
    Kåre!

• Does the GRUB-manager load or is the blackscreen happening even before?

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

• I Guess not, the screen have I been using for a long time without problems. About the resolution I don't know how to change that, and the motherboard is new.

But I think I maybee have found the mistake. I have installed the i386 Version, but I found out that the cpu is amd, should I then installed the amd64 Version??

• Offizieller Beitrag

Well, I would definitely install the 64bit version. I doubt that will help, but anything is possible. I'm getting ready to head home, I'll check in again when I get home.

Can you access the OMV webUI?

• When grub is fading away, is there maybe a cursor blinking in the top left corner?

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yes after finding the ipadr in my router, I can log into the omv with webgui. Ok, so installing amd64 will not fix the problem you think??

And the screen conected directly to the omv is black, not a blinking cursor or any text at all.

• Ang now after log on into the webgui, I try to install the newest Version. I click Upgrade and a New Windows is appear, but nothing text is showing in the Windows. Is that correct?? In earlier Version I have used, the upgradeprocess is showing in this window.

• I woudl suggest you to install amd64, if you still got issues with that, we'll try to solve then.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Post your hardware please.

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

• Offizieller Beitrag

Looks like somehow/maybe your mb is outputting to serial console console only, which is rare if you haven't set it up like that. Can you access SSH? if so can you post here as spoiler or pastebin the dmesg output?
    Is very long so you can submit to txt with dmesg | curl -F 'sprunge=<-' http://sprunge.us it will give you a link you can post here

Probably you don't have curl installed so try apt-get install curl

Anyway if this is a new build one of my first recommends as usual is to clear CMOS hard reset I case you didn't do it. That means power off the system and lift the jumper, look at page 25 of you MB manual. You will have to setup your BIOS again for first boot device

• Offizieller Beitrag

Just woke up... If Grub is appearing normally and the machine boots OK (because you're getting webUI access)... it is almost definite that the resolution of the install is out of range for some reason. Try this:

First.. log in to the webUI and enable SSH access.
    SSH the machine as root
    nano /etc/default/grub
    This opens up the grub configuration. Scroll down and find this part

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    #GRUB_GFXMODE=640x480

Change it to look like this:

# The resolution used on graphical terminal
    # note that you can use only modes which your graphic card supports via VBE
    # you can see them in real GRUB with the command `vbeinfo'
    GRUB_GFXMODE=1024x768
    GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=1024x768

The part I put in bold is what has changed. Make sure you remove the #sign in front of GRUB_GFXMODE. Set the resolution to one that works for your display, then add the next line by typing it in.

After the changes. Control + O and hit enter to save, then Control+X and that should put you back at the command prompt.
    Now update grub:
    update-grub

After grub updates, reboot the machine by typing reboot, and see if the resolution is now in range

• Some more input here;

try installing again and this time With the 2 raid disk Connected. On the motherboard the omv disk is on Sata1, raid on Sata2 and Sata3. In the bios i put the disk in the same list. But when I install the omv, it detect 3 disk, and the omv disk is nr. 3, I choose that and everything is ok to the Grub boot loader shall install. It tries to install to /dev/sda, but the omv disk is /dev/sdc.

Could that be the problem??

And as I have now tried several installation, do I have to wipe the disk bethween the installation??

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you're doing a clean install.. unplug any drive accept the drive you intend to install OMV to... Complete the install, then shutdown and plug the drives back in. This is in the FAQ of the install procedures and is recommended for the exact reason you state. This doesn't seem to be your problem. Because you would get a grub error and the machine would cease to boot if this was the issue, if it were a matter of grub not being installed properly.

As for the webUI... try logging in to the webUI with your browser in Incognito/Privacy mode.. and see if that resolves any issues. Sometimes the browser cache can wreak havoc on a new install, due to the cache of the previous install. If everything works in privacy mode (which operates with a clear cache).. then it's just a cache issue and clearing your browser cache will fix that problem. You can also try to update the machine via the command line and see if that resolves any issues:

apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade

• Offizieller Beitrag

Have now updated the grub file with the resolution, doesn't work

Tried also all 3 apt-get, all successfully run, but doesn't help about the black screen

]

It won't help the black screen... I knew that.

I gotta run.. I'll try to think of something tongith.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!