How to Rsync two OMV-machines

• Hi, thanks for this guide :)
    I have 2 questions :
    - Is it possible to use RSync with 2 OMV machines on differents sites (WAN) or only a the same site (LAN) ?
    - Is it possible to add data to machine A with an external HDD, add the same data with the same external to machine B and use RSync to be sure all is sync ?
    Thanks !

• @WastlJ
    Many thanks for this teamwork :) !

@NicCo
    Generally Rsync also works over WAN.

I would guess, that you have to create two modules on A and two jobs on B when you want to rsync two sources with two targets - just try it ;-). Don't let the two jobs run at the same time - they would have to share the bandwidth...
    Edit: If you only want the external disks to be rsynced, one module and one job is enough. You just have to share the external disks or directories on them instead of the internal disks or directories on them.

BR
    Jan

• I have two raid arrays in two servers replicated using RSync. it works fine. My question is that is there anyway to replicate the omv system configurations (config files etc..) so that users, groups, acl etc too will be identical?

Cheers

PS: I find that pulling data is less prone to errors than pushing....i dont know whether i am right :/

• Offizieller Beitrag

Could you please give some expalantion of "modules" in rsync?

Modules in rsync are the equivalent of shares in Samba.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Hello to this helpfull community.

I have searched the Forum but didn't find an answer and I hope this thread is the right one.

I have to servers, one productive server and one backup server, both with omv. Is there a way to set up a differential or incremental backup via rsync? In Detail I want to realise this as follows:

- weekly full backup
    - every 6 hours incremental backup
    - separate folder for each backup, e.g. /weekly/week01 ... week52 and /daily/20151116-1500 and so on.

Thank you in advance for your help.

• I think what he is looking for is to have the weekly backups, differential, and incremental snapshots rsynced to the backup server from his production server. The Rsnapshot plugin only does it locally.

• I think what he is looking for is to have the weekly backups, differential, and incremental snapshots rsynced to the backup server from his production server. The Rsnapshot plugin only does it locally.

Thank you. That is exactly the point.

• Zitat von shadowzero: „I think what he is looking for is to have the weekly backups, differential, and incremental snapshots rsynced to the backup server from his production server. The Rsnapshot plugin only does it locally.“

Thank you. That is exactly the point.

Try the remoteshare-plugin ;)

BR
    Jan

• Still no reply after 3 days? Is this a real forum?

A friend and I set up a remote Rsync between his media server and mine. His server isn't OMV, mine is. We used Rsync via ssh key. Created a public Ssh key on my machine first. Kind of weird, but apparently OMV is creating it's own version of that kind of key in .ssh folder and it works only if you copy that version manually onto the machine of the said friend. That said, after we hacked that key, replication worked fine. BUT: after some copying overnight, OMV isn't recognizing the files any more as it's own (exactly like when you copy the files manually on a HD bypassing OMV). So the files are there. I can see them via Thunar file browser, but I can't play back a music file for instance with VLC mediaplayer on another old linux PC (which servers as my mediaconsole). Any thoughts on both issues please: why need I to manually copy a ssh key? And why is OMV not identifying the synced files as it's own?

• How do the time settings work, when I switch on the hour parameter and set is to 15, does is syn every 15 hours from then, of at 15:00 ?

how do set a sync which has to run every day on 15:00 ?

---------------------------------------------
    My HP T610 thin client NAS
    My Thin Client single drive NAS build
    -----------------------------------------------------
    I'm from the Netherlands, excuse me for bad english
    -----------------------------------------------------------------

• I also would like some explanation of the rsync job time settings. I created two jobs to replicate data locally yesterday. They appear to have run today even though they do NOT show up under scheduled jobs. Are they actually set to run every N hours? I want them to run once a day at a specific time. Looking under crontab I see no jobs so am wondering how OMV is handling this?

I am on 3.0.54 (erasmus)

P.S. I cant seem to find any settings to limit the logging to only what has been transferred/deleted. The run shows 29k folder names! Has anyone figured this out? Thanks..

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!