HowTo setup Local DNS/DHCP Plugin

• My system has three dnsmasq installed.
    But I only installed one from the plugin.
    Is this correct?

Code
    ii  dnsmasq                                                          2.72-3+deb8u1                     all          Small caching DNS proxy and DHCP/TFTP server
    ii  dnsmasq-base                                                     2.72-3+deb8u1                     amd64        Small caching DNS proxy and DHCP/TFTP server
    ii  openmediavault-dnsmasq                                           3.1.4                             all          OpenMediaVault dnsmasq (local DNS and DHCP server) plugin

/etc/

Code
    -rw-r--r--   1 root    root    26007 May  5  2015 dnsmasq.conf
    drwxr-xr-x   2 root    root     4096 Jan 20 18:59 dnsmasq.d
    -rw-rw-rw-   1 root    root        1 Jan 20 19:04 dnsmasq-hosts
    -rw-rw-rw-   1 root    root        1 Jan 20 19:04 dnsmasq-winshosts

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

My system has three dnsmasq installed.
    But I only installed one from the plugin.
    Is this correct?

dnsmasq package is the non-platform specific files - has nothing to do with OMV.
    dnsmasq-base is the platform specific files - hence the amd64 type - has nothing to do with OMV.
    openmediavault-dnsmasq is the OMV plugin - plugins don't contain the program that they configure.

So, yes, this is correct. What made you ask?

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• I'd been tested dnsmasq plugin and the dnsmasq base prior to your working omv-dnsmasq plugin.
    Something is interfering with my Emby/Plex remote playback.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• The only possible way that dnsmasq could be impacting your Emby/Plex is if it were responsible for assigning IPs via DHCP to the server instances, or if it is providing DNS services for everything and has no entries for the Emby/Plex server instances.

Or, I suppose if you configured Emby/Plex to operate over Port 53, but that would be a singularly silly thing to do.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Maybe its a bug?

Nope. You didn't select a lease network. If there is nothing listed in that drop down, you need to configure your system to use a static IP. I admit the dnsmasq plugin is not the best at checking for setup errors.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

Are you planing further development on this plugin?

I am maintaining it. Not sure how if I will add more features.

I would like to be able to set up DHCP in more then one network.

Sounds like a major modification to the plugin?

• Sounds like a major modification to the plugin?

If you want to integrate it into the plugin in a fashion that makes it graphical, then yes.

However, I'm currently running... *counts* eight different extra subnets all of which are configured through the plugin's interface using the Extra Options box. This requires two lines per subnet you wish to be handed out:

Code
    dhcp-range=set:guests,192.168.10.10,192.168.10.254,255.255.255.0,12h
    dhcp-option=tag:guests,option:router,192.168.10.1

Line 1 sets the name of the subnet (I use something that describes what it's for, but you can use anything you want), then defines the first address to assign, last address to assign, subnet mask for the subnet, and lease length time.

Line 2 essentially says "any DHCP requests forwarded by this address, assign an address out of the 'guests' subnet using the forwarding IP as the router."

This is how I'm using a Raspberry Pi with OMV 3.x and the DNSMasq plugin to service 9 VLANs in my home network and lab for DHCP & DNS (also running authentication and NTP services). I've also got a simple script to download an adblock list once a week and save it in /etc/dnsmasq.d/ to do ad filtering.

The lack of ANY other option with the Extra Options box, pretty much across the board, was why I was sad when you originally decided you weren't going to port it. And why I dropped any consideration of running a Pi-Hole when you changed your mind.

• Thanks for sharing.
    I'll definitely try this.

What is the right keyword to google to get help with this options ??

Everything that I'm doing there is essentially config options in /etc/dnsmasq.conf. Anything that goes in the Extra Options box is essentially added on to that file, so basically your best bet is either reading the dnsmasq.conf file, or looking at the dnsmasq documentation online.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!