HowTo setup Local DNS/DHCP Plugin

• Offizieller Beitrag

The only issue that this plugin right now is the DNS

DNS seems to be working on my VM. In order to fix, I need more info on what isn't working (other than dns isn't working) because I have no idea what to fix.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If I put in the parameters in extra option, the DNS stop working immediately.
    With or without the port=0, same result.

port=0
    dhcp-range=192.168.1.0,proxy
    pxe-prompt="Press F8 for menu", 20
    pxe-service=x86PC,"PXE Boot-Server",pxelinux
    resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370
    32GB RAM Corsair Vengeance Pro

• Offizieller Beitrag

If I put in the parameters in extra option, the DNS stop working immediately.

I thought removing port=0 fixed that?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

I figured you're busy, so I don't bug you about it.

I'll try to look at it this weekend.

• I see you discusion here and i have test dnsmasq plugin too.

So the same problem with no dns with port 0 or without port 0.

My solution was to remove line "resolv-file=/etc/resolv.conf". Now pxe will now find in my network.

tftp has a ping timeout but without a pxe image (the pxe from omv-extras.org is offline) i can't test it.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can create an entry in the pxe list without the pre-made images. The entry doesn't have to be functioning to have the list show up to verify that the system is pxe-booting.

• Thanks. tftp running well. My "Test" will show up.

Now i am happy :D

Again for the other user here:
    my "extra" entry on dsmasq is:

Code
    dhcp-range=192.168.0.0,proxy
    • Offizieller Beitrag

There is a bug in the pxe plugin that I need to fix to add the pre-made packages.

• Thanks. tftp running well. My "Test" will show up.

Now i am happy :D

Again for the other user here:
    my "extra" entry on dsmasq is:

Code
    dhcp-range=192.168.0.0,proxy

Good to know.
    You can download the ISO from another source like Clonezilla without waiting for the omv-extras to be fixed.
    I'm using NFS, I test it tonight.

Thanks.

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Offizieller Beitrag

pxe plugin fixed. version 3.6 in repo.

• The dnsmasq is working good now.
    I got this error message when I tried to pxe boot the UBCD.

Failed to load COM32 file ubcd-5.3.6/boot/syslinux/menu.c32

OMV v5.0
    Asus Z97-A/3.1; i3-4370

• Offizieller Beitrag

Failed to load COM32 file ubcd-5.3.6/boot/syslinux/menu.c32

That might be an issue with the package itself.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I re-downloaded the image, and used a separated image from UBCD site, but error persist.

I think the ubcd package from OMV-extras is missing a file or something. I don't remember who created that package.

• Putting some feedback here for @ryecoaaron since I don't want to clutter the ZFS plugin thread with dnsmasq plugin stuff, but I found a bug I believe. This is running OMV 3.0.59 on a Raspberry Pi (Pi 2 if it matters).

I went in and started adding static entries, and decided to clean up the CNAMEs while I was at it to make it quicker. The second entry I added I skipped the CNAME altogether, added another successfully (with a CNAME), and on the fourth entry tried to add one from a static lease, also without a CNAME, and got the following error:

Code
    The configuration object 'conf.service.dnsmasq.entry' is not unique. An object with the property 'cnames' and value '' already exists.

Details of this were as follows:

Code
    Error #0:
    exception 'OMV\AssertException' with message 'The configuration object 'conf.service.dnsmasq.entry' is not unique. An object with the property 'cnames' and value '' already exists.' in /usr/share/php/openmediavault/config/database.inc:480
    Stack trace:
    #0 /usr/share/openmediavault/engined/rpc/dnsmasq.inc(239): OMV\Config\Database->assertIsUnique(Object(OMV\Config\ConfigObject), 'cnames')
    #1 [internal function]: OMVRpcServiceDnsmasq->setEntry(Array, Array)
    #2 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/serviceabstract.inc(124): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    #3 /usr/share/php/openmediavault/rpc/rpc.inc(84): OMV\Rpc\ServiceAbstract->callMethod('setEntry', Array, Array)
    #4 /usr/sbin/omv-engined(516): OMV\Rpc\Rpc::call('Dnsmasq', 'setEntry', Array, Array, 1)
    #5 {main}

This happened when I tried to add a static entry manually as well, without the CNAME. As long as there's a CNAME, it works.

Other than that, everything is working fine for me; I've got the plugin configured and working to provide DHCP and DNS for four different subnets with no issues at all other than this CNAME thing. I could wish for an easier way to import static entries in bulk, but that's sort of a one-and-done thing that I just have to work my way through.

I really appreciate you porting this "damned plugin", ryecoaaron. Anywhere I can make a donation for it? Can't offer much, but having this ported makes managing dnsmasq in a complicated environment so much more convenient.

• Offizieller Beitrag

This happened when I tried to add a static entry manually as well, without the CNAME. As long as there's a CNAME, it works.

3.1.2 in the testing folder. It only checks for a unique cnames or name if there is something in the field now. I think that will fix your problem.

• 3.1.2 in the testing folder. It only checks for a unique cnames or name if there is something in the field now. I think that will fix your problem.

Got it, will test it later today. I had something blow up spectacularly last night for some reason; after putting in a bunch of static entries, DNSMasq was failing to start, and from what I could tell it was segfaulting. I backed up the config files that omv-mkconf dnsmasq generates and put my manual config files back in and it fired up right away.

I haven't had a chance to go through the configs and try to identify what might be causing the issue because it was after midnight and I just needed it working in the morning for my daughter, but I should have time today to break things.

Not sure it's related - I don't know how it could be - but I tried a reboot while dnsmasq wasn't working and EVERYTHING went sideways. Was getting HTTP 500 errors on the web interface and "connection reset by peer" on SSH attempts. Ended up taking the Pi to a keyboard and monitor and it booted to command line so that's when I swapped the dnsmasq configs.

(FYI, not sure if it really matters but it lets you match the CNAME and the primary name, so if hostname is 'foobar' and you put additionals as 'foobar' it takes it with no issues.)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!