No write access rights for transmission created folders

• I'm currently using an aufs pool and transmission and cannot seem to be able to get proper rights to any directories/files that transmission creates. Transmission saves on an aufs pool and I'm accessing files from there. Under shares I've checked Privilages for my user/group to read/write.

I've done the same for ACL, and I have done this for all drives/poolshares yet I still cannot delete/copy to transmission created files/folders.

I've added myself to debian-transmission group and I still cannot edit those files.

Whenever I reapply the privilages I will be able to edit the current files, but once again I cannot edit any future created ones.
    What am I doing wrong?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Everything is wrong.
    1) privileges act in the service layer of 3 basic core components (ftp, smb and afp)
    2) ACL do not work in aufs.

Reset to default permissions to all folders used by transmission. Set the umask in transmission to 2 (775 mode) or 0 (777 world writable) mode in the webui. Save apply and restart the daemon.

• I went to the Reset Permissions tab and hit reset permissions for all my file systems/labels (d1,d2,d3,d4) not clearing ACL. Set transmission umask to 777. This made transmission not able to create files. I tried resetting the permissions again. I then tried setting an inconsequential transmission setting in order to save all setting since reset wasn't working.
    Now transmission won't work at all. In trying to reset transmission I'm getting:
    "Failed to execute command 'export LANG=C; invoke-rc.d 'transmission-daemon' start 2>&1': Starting bittorrent daemon: transmission-daemon[13:54:46.192] Couldn't read "/var/lib/transmission-daemon/info/settings.json": Permission denied (warning). invoke-rc.d: initscript transmission-daemon, action "start" failed."

• Offizieller Beitrag

The value to put in umask is 2 or 0 (has to be decimal not octal). Read here https://trac.transmissionbt.com/wiki/EditConfigFiles

The file settings.json got permission issues strangely I am in the same situation after some changes in my rig.

do

chown debian-transmission:debian-transmission /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json
    chmod 644 /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

Then save apply in the webUI

• Thanks, this seems to have fixed everything. For some reason I did not need to chown as it was already properly set, I only needed to chmod the settings file. Even stranger only some of the torrents were in the same state, I just had to verify them and everything was back to normal.

• Offizieller Beitrag

You didn't mention if the umask is working for you?

To general knowledge all shares/folders created in the webUI have default permission of 2775 (root:users ownership), the number 2 is setgid, this number forces all files and folders created inside that folder to be owned by the parent group users. This helps keeping the balance, so that all users/services are able to access each other files.
    The read/write bit is controlled by each service umask configuration (smb, ftp, transmission, etc etc)

• when you say set it to 2 or 0, does that mean actually set it to 2 or 0 in omv webgui?
    im having kindof the same problem, but when i read on the transmission page you linked it says:

umask: Number (default = 18) Sets transmission's file mode creation mask. See the umask(2) manpage for more information. Users who want their saved torrents to be world-writable may want to set this value to 0. Bear in mind that the json markup language only accepts numbers in base 10, so the standard umask(2) octal notation "022" is written in settings.json as 18.

so i wonder what number im supposed to enter in omv webgui?

• Both should work. 0 will make files 777, 2 will make them 775.

i dont think you get what i mean, and it is rather cryptic this,but ill try to explain what is confusing me.
    it says on the transmission web page that if you want umask to be set to 2, then you need to write 18 in the settings file, but you say 0 or 2, so what exactly am i supposed to write in the box in omv gui 0, 2 or 18?

• i already read stuff like that, including the link in your signature, but i dont think you read what i write.
    what you linked combined with what you are saying is just making it more cryptic and confusing for me, since every page i read has a diffrent explanation on this.

cant you just tell me what to write in the box of omv web gui for it to work for me?

• Offizieller Beitrag

18 will make files 755 (022 umask). You won't be able to delete them through samba for example.
    2 will make them 775 (002 umask). You will be able to delete them through samba with any omv users account.
    0 will make them 777 (000 umask). Even the guest account in samba will be able to delete the file.

I mention samba but it could be any other service.

• 18 will make files 755 (022 umask). You won't be able to delete them through samba for example.
    2 will make them 775 (002 umask). You will be able to delete them through samba with any omv users account.
    0 will make them 777 (000 umask). Even the guest account in samba will be able to delete the file.

I mention samba but it could be any other service.

Newbie here :)
    I know that I'm couple years late but I have exactly the same problem
    Can"t delete any downloads created by transmission (trying to delete them using Windows home network)
    I did change Unmask to 0 but still have the same problem.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks

UPDATE:
    Got it working :)
    Not exactly sure how tho ....

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!