SnapRaid & AUFS Permissions problems

• So, I am baffled. I have SnapRaid pooled with AUFS and everything seems to be working ok, but I have very strange permissions problems. I have a folder at /media/458fb0be-9f06-4dcf-a931-3e8df85d6507/Storage and I can write to that folder, but I cannot write to the some of the next folders up /media/458fb0be-9f06-4dcf-a931-3e8df85d6507/Storage/Movies, for instance. But I can write to /media/458fb0be-9f06-4dcf-a931-3e8df85d6507/Storage/Movies/Anchorman. All permissions are set to account mediaman and group users. Permission look like drwxrwsrwx. Any advice?

Edit- I should add that I can write to these folders with root.

• Permissions can be weird with AUFS is the permissions are mucked on the branch drive and you are editing the permissions on the shared drive.
    Keep this in mind and possibly check to ensure that isn't the case.

another thing to try is the ensure ACL isn't on as it doesn't play nice with aufs.

you could also try to reset permissions... there is a spot for it in the GUI if you look under shares.

some noob things to try or consider... if these don't help i'm sure a more capable person will drop in to help soon.

Also wouldn't hurt to try chmod or to ensure that your user is indeed part of the group users.
    ALSO... are your permissions associated with couchpotato?... if so that is a different animal.

• So I'm really confused and if anyone else has had any similar issues it would be great to know. So it's changing all the time where I can and cannot write files to. I know I can write to the other snap raid volumes fine, but when I try to write to the aufs volume at /media/FILLINLONGSTRINGHERE/ it's changing if I can or cannot. the only thing that is consistent is that root can write to it. My other users just seem to bounce around. Again, any insight into this would be great.

• I promise that one of the things I've mentioned would fix it. You just need to do your due diligence and investigate. From what you are describing it seems that in your AUFS Pool some branches have permissions correct others don't and when it tries to write to some branches it has success but when it tries to write to the branch that has permission issues an error results. Snapraid has nothing to do with the permission issues. I think at this point you need to research how an AUFS pool works and once you understand that and how to chmod permissions of folders and subfolders you will be good to go.

you could try something like this on EVERY branch of your AUFS pool and I'm sure you will have luck
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=940306

I know this seems daunting, but once you figure out permissions you will have that skill in your quiver and linux will be much easier for you.

• So, a bit of background, I've been working in IT for years. While linux hasn't been my forte (OS X actually is... so it's not that different under the hood), I'm fairly competent. I've tried everything you mentioned. Changed permissions throughout the share, changed owners, etc. I've re-set permissions, and ACLs. The only thing that has worked occasionally has been to edit the groups that my user is a member of. I've made sure that the user and group assigned to these folders is the proper user and group as the user accessing them via CP, SAB and SB. Still, it changes like the wind. I'm very very baffled.

The only thing that I can think of is that something is very wrong with my AUFS pooling and to remove it and start again, but I have 12TB of data now living on that pool, so I am a bit hesitant to tear it down.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Removing an aufs pool won't delete any data. It just sits on top of the filesystem and directs writes/pools reads.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

You can't access the files as a non-root user from the command line?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you enable the snapraid pool?

• Offizieller Beitrag

What error do you get when trying to mkdir?

• Code
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Movies/thisisatest': Permission denied

FYI my AUFS pool changed after I recreated it. That's why it's different than post #1.

• Offizieller Beitrag

The subfolders in shared folders should be owned by root:users not root:root. Have you tried that? Can you post your fstab as well? Do you quotas enabled?

• changed permissions, still permission denied, though I would have thought that 777 perms would have worked.

No quota's enabled.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I can't find it anywhere but I wonder if aufs has a 16TB limit to writes?? I would try removing enough drives to get it under 16 TB to test.

• But the strange part is that I can write to some folders.

Code
    mediaman@RAGE:/root$ mkdir /media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Movies/thisisatest
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Movies/thisisatest': Permission denied
    mediaman@RAGE:/root$ mkdir /media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Music/thisisatest
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Music/thisisatest': Permission denied
    mediaman@RAGE:/root$ mkdir /media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Music-Old/thisisatest
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Music-Old/thisisatest': Permission denied
    mediaman@RAGE:/root$ mkdir /media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/TV\ Shows/thisisatest
    mkdir: cannot create directory `/media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/TV Shows/thisisatest': Permission denied
    mediaman@RAGE:/root$ mkdir /media/69c31ed2-5b0a-4856-89bb-00801e23ac35/Storage/Mac\ Software/thisisatest
    mediaman@RAGE:/root$

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!