practical use of OMV as a virtual machine

• Hello all,
    Im new to this whole nas experience. I have a lot of media... TBs of music (im a club dj) and 4TBs of movies/tv shows. Ive always just shared my media from a windows homegroup but things have gotten messy and id like to centrallize everything.
    Ive setup OMV in virtual box using win7 ultimate as the host. Things are running really well right now with this test environment that has 40GB.
    There wasnt a tremendous amount of setup, but id rather not have to re-do everything on a baremetal setup, so Im curious... does it make any sense at all to attach a couple 2TB virtual drives and use it as my everyday nas? Is this a common practice? It seems as though everyone runs virtualbox inside OMV and not the other way around.
    I would love to hear your thoughts on this setup and what kind of reliability and flexibility i can expect.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I run OMV as a VM on Proxmox at a school. Works well. It would work well in virtualbox but I think you would have to reboot too often with Win7 as the host (security updates).

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!