BTRFS Raid1 Setup

• I am almost finished building what will be my first NAS and I have decided to go with OMV. I am fairly new to the linux OS (I've installed Debian onto my laptop to become more familiar with the environment).

Getting to my point, after some research I have settled on using BTRFS Raid1 for my data disks, which is now supported in the latest OMV (Also, I am using ECC RAM in this NAS build). My question is, once I create the BTRFS Raid1 setup, what do I need to do in the future to keep it performing optimally?

As in do I need to run any sort of scrub periodically? Etc. Since this is my first NAS, I am not familiar with what needs to be done to keep the data disks in check.

Thank you for the help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

raid1 is a mirror. Everything is written the same to both drives. I wouldn't think you would need to scrub since that has to do with parity.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Btrfs support for now is minimum, just to mount a FS and from there expand to share folders from the raid1 in the webUI.

I run a raid1 setup with 3 different size drives, i run fortnightly scrub in the scheduled tasks. Some people prefer weekly, others daily.

Is being working for me with no problems with kernel 3.16.7 (the backport one), you have to watch very closely kernel upgrades and wait reasonable time to avoid issues (3.17.1, also 3.16.2 to 3.16.4 had serious problems)

Also my rootfs is btrfs in a subvolume schema that allows me to rollback in case of something goes back, mayor Debian upgrade generally or other thing goes back

• Offizieller Beitrag

What does scrub do on Raid 1?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• So a scrub is the only thing that should be done periodically?

As for the setup process, is this correct?
    1. Clean install of the latest OMV
    2. Install backport kernel 3.16.7
    3. Setup btrfs raid1
    4. Setup scheduled task to scrub periodically (Can this be done via the webUI?)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Setup scheduled task to scrub periodically (Can this be done via the webUI?)

Depends on your needs, i run it periodically. But is it necessary? how often will bitrot happen?
    I am still new at this, but you can always go to the #btrfs channel at freenode to ask about it. I am there all the time watching discussions problems, etc

For me the most useful features for now are snapshots (for rollback) and raid1 multiple unequal drive. Also subvolumes can provide duplicate data without increasing space usage (cp --reflink).
    Online deduplication is far from coming as the heavy development is at the moment in raid56 stability

The rest of your steps seems ok. The format and raid1 setup is done at cli.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!