Apache bothering NGINX (was: It works! ...if I change the port)

• Hi there!

Because of some trouble with my PC (not enough ressources) I had to drop my additional NIC for my Homeserver-OMV. Given that, I had the chance to think about my network. My Homeserver is now connected to my router. My router is blocking any internet-connection from/to my Homeserver and my PC, which is a VM-host (Only VM-guest can connect to the internet). Another Mediaserver-OMV runs in my network as well.

Problem:
    When I try to run my Homeserver-GUI I only got the default-page on port 80. When I switch ports via OMV-Firstaid from the CLI, for example to 4711, is works. My Mediaserver is working quite normal.
    When I restart the webserver on my Homeserver via CLI-command, I got an error "Faild to bind, address in use!" (or similar). So he does not mean a port. He's struggeling with and adress?!

What's going on there? Both OVMs are running the latest version.

Things you maybe want to know: Both devices have different Host-Names (underlined above), different dynamic IP-Adresses via DHCP and different MAC-Adresses.

THX! :)

• When I restart the webserver on my Homeserver via CLI-command, I got an error "Faild to bind, address in use!" (or similar). So he does not mean a port. He's struggeling with and adress?!

I think is nginx fighting for a port already in use

Really? "Address" should not be "Port". And what could use port 80 exept of ngnix? And why could it happen when changing IP-Settings? Weired, isn't it?

• There is being lately some users reporting that some upgrades installed apache2 in their servers.

or use netstat -tulpn | grep :80 to see what is using port 80

Yes, it is Apache2. =O This is scary. I've never installed it by myself.

After /etc/init.d/apache2 stop and /etc/init.d/nginx restart OMV-GUI shows up again.

Important question: If I remove apache2 via apt-get purge apache2 - can I destroy other things? On my Homeserver I'm only running SMB and SSH. Absolutely no plugins and no omv-extras.

Mod-internal: If this happend to some people, we should make a sticky-post with the proper solution.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you upgrade from 0.5?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Mod-internal: If this happend to some people, we should make a sticky-post with the proper solution.

Please, post the results of dpkg -l | grep openmediavault, so we can know what plugins you have installed on your system and if some of them installed Apache2.
    Thx.

EDIT:
    Also, could be nice to know what repositories you added through OMV-Extras or manually.

• Offizieller Beitrag

He doesn't have omv-extras or any plugins installed.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

• No plugins?? I thought I read somewhere he had a virtual machine. That took me to think on phpVBox, and the fact that I also have it installed. And so I had the same problem and Apache2 apparently self installed.

I don't mean VBox was the culprit.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Absolutely no plugins and no omv-extras.

I just read this line. If it was an upgrade from 0.5, apache would still be installed.

• Did you upgrade from 0.5?

Yes, I did that about one month after release.

We need info about this, do you know when this started to happen?

I don't really know. I had to change my network-settings via omv-firstaid to DHCP. After that I realized it.

Can you provide the logs for apt?

See line 61 at pastebin.

Please, post the results of dpkg -l | grep openmediavault, so we can know what plugins you have installed on your system and if some of them installed Apache2.

BTDT:

Code
    dpkg -l | grep openmediavault
    ii  openmediavault                     1.10                          all          Open network attached storage solution
    ii  openmediavault-keyring             0.3                           all          GnuPG archive keys of the OpenMediaVault archive

Also, could be nice to know what repositories you added through OMV-Extras or manually.

I'm not shure, if you want to see the sources-list. But - here you go:

I don't have any plugins or omv-extras installed on that homeserver.

• Offizieller Beitrag

At /var/log/apt/ is all the history and terminal apt commands you can check there. But coming from a 0.5 upgrade is possible that the package was never removed, but it was disabled since you never had problems with webUI.

The thing to know is then how did apache got their runlevels enabled

Your webUI was always working in port 80?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I think there was probably an apache update which changed the runlevels.

• At /var/log/apt/ is all the history and terminal apt commands you can check there.

I'm more on the users-side. So that hint would've been become handy, if I got it earlier. It's better to post a command that users should use instead of let them google... ;)

I can go back in this logs up to 2012-12-27 (just 12 logs in term and history). What do you need for further investigations?

But coming from a 0.5 upgrade is possible that the package was never removed, but it was disabled since you never had problems with webUI.

If I get you right: The update did not work proper? When I got an vanilla-omv and switch from apache2 to nginx I would expect to get apache2 removed... Right?

Your webUI was always working in port 80?

Yes.

I think there was probably an apache update which changed the runlevels.

So every "upgrader" from 0.5 could have problems. Cleanup-Option? If someone is more a noob and has no SSH activated, will be in such a trouble.

What is the solution to my problem?
    I would like to get OMV-GUI working. Can I do apt-get purge apache2 or should I do anything else? Or do you want me to wait for further investigations? (Would not be a problem, it's only unconformable.)

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yes, I think every 0.5 upgrader who didn't uninstall apache could *possibly* have this issue. I guess I could add a button to omv-extras to manually remove it eliminating the need for ssh/linux skills.

Yes, purge apache. Use dpkg -l | grep apache to see which packages are installed. If you could post that list, I could tell you which to uninstall.

• I think there was probably an apache update which changed the runlevels.

Sure, more than a week ago I saw an upgrade for apache running in my machine.
    I'm posting because I had a similar GUI problem and ryecoaaron helped to fix it. It was apache2 that I never installed that reactivated. Same ship.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!