Raid 1 3TB WD Green no Spin Down :( :( :(​

• I recently made a server for a very demanding customer. He wanted a:

-Low power (30w less)
    -no volume
    -small
    -pretty

server. I made a small dual drive Server with a Streacom fc10 case which runs completely fan less. It runs of 20w now and is fairly impressive with its dual core and 16gb or ram. My customer has two aspects that he needs to have!

1. (very important)
    All the WD disks need to spin down and be 100% quite and "off" when he isnt using the server. When he wants to do something the HDDS turn on and spin up. This feature should spin down quite often (5-20min) no matter if it can hurt them. With the WD Greens I have been aware of Head Parking feature but right now i am okay with this.

I tried in the Webgui to solve this by enabling a 20 min spin down as well as 1 by advanced power savings and minimum acoustic output. But the drives will not for some reason spin down. They will not stop spinning at any time. Idk what more to do? Can i see what is preventing them? SMART isnt enabled. Can they even spin down? Can i Force them? IDK how but i need to get this solved.

2. He wants his server to turn of every night at 8 and turn on in the morning at 8. I loved this idea and after enabling rtcwake in the bios I scheduled a rtc wake to do this. I have multiple problems with this. With standart kernel or backported kernel i can not get standby to fully work. (it turns off and back on or doesnt wake up all the way and he has to crash it. Worst part about rtc wake it wont wake the Server reliably. And another problem comes from cron jobs that arent executed at right.

Im heading over this weekend to work on it and I will need some kind of gameplan. Ill replace the standard hdd with a ssd and take a WD 3tb Black with me to see if that will spin down. So If you guys could and pleas give me some ideas I would very much it!

• Offizieller Beitrag

All the WD disks need to spin down and be 100% quite and "off"

From what i've seen in the forum, there are some complains on this reds for spin down, google show me this http://www.anandtech.com/show/…-hdds-worth-the-premium/2

Also someone commented that the 3TB are very problematic, not the 2TB or the 4TB

He wants his server to turn of every night at 8 and turn on in the morning at 8

The rtcwake is testing, i've also used and maybe it needs tweaking since the internal rtc time is different from the actual time. In this case i would recommend send the system to sleep with schedule, and use WOL cron job from a router or another relay station in the lan

• 1) once upon a time I recall that the WD Greens do not accept custom sleep times, it is somehow "within" their FW to spin down. However not quite sure if that is still the case.

2) Set SMART check way higher than sleep time. Check that APM is set lower than 128 - look in syslog if it fails see 1)!

3) Check if customer mounted share via windows network as "drive" including drive letter - mostly prevents spindown! - in question unplug Network cable

WD REDS und Blacks should spin down.

• So lets say the drives dont support it or dont do it or whatever. I need to get this to work. What drives do you suggest? any thoughts about how i can still get them working. SMART was activated at a point... could it be that those settings still prvent it.

Any idea of how to sent WOL package with fritz box on a cron job? or how about sent it from the mac when he boots i?

• Zitat

once upon a time I recall that the WD Greens do not accept custom sleep times, it is somehow "within" their FW to spin down. However not quite sure if that is still the case.

Doesnt that mean that they would spin down at some point though? They should have it somewhere?

What about mdadm checks? could they be preventing spindown?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should be maybe a power savy one, like greens. Have to constantly watch the smart values since they tend to fail before normal drives

Any idea of how to sent WOL package with fritz box on a cron job? or how about sent it from the mac when he boots i?

Don't know the fritz box, but there are plenty of german users here that can help you that they probably own one.

The Mac boot cron job should be totally doable (through cron or script at login items) i am pretty sure you can find plenty of tutorials in google for that

• [/quote]

Doesnt that mean that they would spin down at some point though? They should have it somewhere?

What about mdadm checks? could they be preventing spindown?[/quote]

Depends on how long the intervall is set and if there is new activity.

about madm I don't know.

• I got the problem that mounted HDDs do never spin down. They are not referenced, not used.
    If they are not mounted, they spin down automatically.
    If they are mounted and I put them into standby manually by "hdparm -y /dev/sdx" they spin down and immediately spin up again. If they are not mounted, they spin down and keep that state.
    Any ideas?

OMV 1.10, 3.16 backport kernel (but was the same with 3.2), Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER166 (shown as Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER1 in GUI, but this seems to be a bug, because of limitation to 16 chars)
    S.M.A.R.T. is not enabled

• no RAID, just ext4.
    What I observe if a file system is mounted: even if there is no access the HDD LED is flashing every one or two seconds. It seems, OMV is doing something what prevents the disk from spin down.

• Thanks for that hint: I frequently see a jbd2 process coming up. Will search how to solve that...
    Found some other threads here regarding this issue (New to OMV, drives won't go to spindown/standby/sleep) and it may take 50 minutes per TiB until this journaling stops for a newly formatted disk. urghhh... Think I will go for btrfs.

seife96: but this is not the cause of your problem right? Or is it?

• Thanks for that hint: I frequently see a jbd2 process coming up. Will search how to solve that...
    Found some other threads here regarding this issue (New to OMV, drives won't go to spindown/standby/sleep) and it may take 50 minutes per TiB until this journaling stops for a newly formatted disk. urghhh... Think I will go for btrfs.

seife96: but this is not the cause of your problem right? Or is it?

This might be the problem... The drives are indeed on a ext4 system. If anyone has a suggested for a better filesystem shoot it at me. I will redo the server anyways and a new file system would be easy to change!

• Thank you! I will try XFS just to see.

Now what are the most common apps or services accessing my drives? How can I disable them or higher the check time? Should I run AFP SAMBA and NFS or just one? The client only uses Macs so I can cut down if needed!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!