Clone OMV install from larger HDD to smaller SSD?

• Hi folks

I have OMV setup just the way I want it, so would rather not have to reinstall from scratch. At the moment my HP Micro Server is running the supplied HDD with OMV on it (250GB from memory) and after cloning the OS drive on my desktop I now have a spare Crucial M4 128GB SSD sitting here, which I'd like to install for running OMV in the micro server.

I used Clonezilla to image my old SSD onto the new one, so familiar with that. Unfortunately it can't deal with imaging a larger drive onto a smaller one. I'm not that familiar with Linux use, purely because OMV is the only thing I use it for, so not sure if shrinking, then re-expanding the image size in Linux is straightforward to do, or if there's an alternative method?

Grateful for a steer :)

Adrian

• Hiya

Thanks for the suggestion - did as advised and shrunk the partition down, but clonezilla still sees the drive as being smaller and refuses to copy it across? I've deleted the partitions that were sitting on the SSD so it's basically an unformatted disc as I thought that might be the issue. Have tried creating an image from the original HDD and restoring that to the SSD and it falls over again. Also tried telling clonezilla to ignore the size of the SSD in advanced options, with no change.

Am I missing a step here somewhere or is there a way to fool clonezilla into believing the HDD is smaller than it is?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you check the ICDS option in advanced on clonezilla?

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

If you can't get clonezilla to work, here is what I would do (forgive me if you know how to some of this):

Unplug data drives
    boot SystemRescueCD
    assume sda is new drive, sdb is drive to restore from
    mount /dev/sdb1 /mnt/backup
    dd if=/dev/sdb of=/dev/sda bs=446 count=1
    fdisk /dev/sda - create main partition and swap partition
    mkswap /dev/sda2
    mkfs.ext4 /dev/sda1

blkid
    tune2fs /dev/sda1 -U uuid_from_sdb1_from_blkid

mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/gentoo
    rsync -aAXv /mnt/backup/* /mnt/gentoo/ --exclude=/lost+found
    umount /mnt/gentoo /mnt/backup
    reboot

boot Debian Squeeze install cd and select Rescue Mode from Advanced options.
    Reinstall grub boot loader on /dev/sda or the following command from shell
    grub-install /dev/sda

• I think the job Adrian wants to do is easily ( now as I know ) done with Bootit Baremetal.
    It's also very useful for Windows.

All the linux commands are "chinese" for me and I don't know what's goging on there.

• Offizieller Beitrag

All of those commands are the manual way of cloning an os to a new drive.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• If the suggested methods won't work out for you, you also can try a bootable Acronis(based on Linux)-live.iso - You can migrate Images without any problems.

OpenMediaVault 1.12 on Debian Wheezy 7.8 64bit | 3.16 Backport Kernel | OMV-Extras.org 1.10
    ASRock Q1900-ITX | 1x4GB Corsair Vengeance SODIMM DDR3 | 1xWD Red 3TB | 1xApacer 1,8" SATA1 SSD 32GB as system drive | be quiet! Pure Power L8 350W | SilverStone Milo ML04 Black

• If clonezilla(CZ) is failing because the drive size is different then do it at the partition level. Once you have shrunk the partition then cz to back it up/verify. Then cz to restore it and boot-repair live-cd (32 or 64bits) to rebuild the MBR/grub so it will boot.

(or cz to copy the partition between drives. I like to back everything up just in case!)

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!