System failure procedure

• Hi
    I have a system with RAID mirroring.
    What is the procedure if my physical server fails, for example motherboard or system hard disk fail? Or simply, if I want to move my Raid array to an upgraded machine.
    What installation procedure should I follow? Will the new system recognise my Raid? Thanks for help, I could not find that information on wiki.

• Offizieller Beitrag

If the motherboard fails, just move all the drives to a new system and boot. You will have to execute omv-firstaid to fix the networking though.

If the system hard drive fails, just restore your backup of it to the new hard drive :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks ryecoaaron
    I have executed omv-firstaid on my current machine to check what it can do.
    Regarding backup, I have not thought it is was possible or in practise to restore backup of a system hard drive to the new drive in case old one fails. I searched the forum and few members mention Clonezilla. Is it what you recommend as well?
    I will make a system backup, for sure, but just out of my curiousity, is it possible to import data RAID hard drives after fresh installation on a new machine?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, I recommend clonezilla. If you restore the clonezilla backup to a new hard drive, OMV will never know that it is a new hard drive.

If you install fresh, OMV will recognize the raid array. You will have to mount it and re-create your users and shared folders but the data will be there.

• Thanks
    And (I hope) last question. If I move all the drives to a new system, which has a different motherboard, network card, processor (but still of the same architecture), amount of RAM, etc., what happens? Will OMV detect changes in the configuration and automatically install all the necessary device drivers?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Yep, OMV will detect it all. Having issues moving to new hardware is a Windows problem :)

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!