OMV in a lxc container

• Hi

I gave up running omv as lxc guest fit now because NFS will not run. Kernel space nfs does not work in lxc, and user space implementation lacks file lock feature. (It seems NFS has the same limitations in LXC as in openVZ.)

I remember collects cannot run in LXC. I found this may be due to /etc/hosts not set up properly (maybe if you rename container's hostname). If collect cannot start upon its installation some packages will not be configured, leaving the container in a unstable state.

Choose a name for your container before creating it. Create it : lxc-create (some args) -n container-name

Start your container and check its setup :
    hostname -s
    hostname -d
    hostname -f

They should return respectively the short name of your container, the domain of your container and the fqdn of your container.

In /etc/hosts there is a line starting by 127.0.0.1
    The names found in this line should be the the name of your container, its fqdn and literally localhost.

I'm not sure about the order of these 3 names, try to reorder them if you fail to restart collectd.
    Apt a get install collectd
    # fix /etc/hosts if still needed
    service collected restart
    apt-get install -f

#install OMV on top of jessie
    # instructions available on the forum, easily found via Google.

For your information I prefer run OMV as hosts for my containers to ensure a fully working file server. I think this is a bad idea to make a block device available in a container, because this configuration depends on the order and the number of HDDs in the host. Adding a HDD may break things.

If you're interested I managed to install LXC, sssd and realmd from wheezy-backports without breaking OMV.

EDIT : realmd is not available in backports, it is available in jessie onwards.

My wiki : http://howto-it.dethegeek.eu.org

= latest setup =
    proxmox VE 6 hypervisor on a J1900 CPU + 8GB RAM
    guests : OpenWRT (VM), OMV 5 (VM), Samba 4 domain controller (LXC)
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von dethegeek ()

• Hi

I tried when I joined this thread, without success : I don't have enough knowledge on LXC, and after I found a few solutions or workarounds to the first compatibility issues I thought about software RAID and LVM : a LXC container is a filesystem only. I guess RAID and LVM won't be manageable.

The only solution, I think, would be to have an OMV instance without RAID and LVM management enabled. It does not makes sense because OMV should manage this itself.

I finally gave up and continued to run my OMV as a QEMU KVM machine (proxmox or libvirt, depending on my current taste).

@c.monty : running OMV on a QEMU KVM machine is a waste of resource because it is full virtualization. Moreover, I was targetting to use OMV on a CPU without the required assisted virtualization features of KVM. That's why I was interested into LXC.

= latest setup =
    OMV alive since 2011 I guess : never crashed, always upgraded : stronger than my hard drives.

Searching for a P2P online storage solution : must be open source, client side encrypted, quota supprt. Tahoe LAFS is the nearest, but is lacking quota. Would be perfect to build a OMV based, anonymous online storage for backups

• Hi

I just found a a post in proxmox VE forum showing how someone successfully installed OpenMediaVault in a LXC container, with workaround to each error found in the process.

https://forum.proxmox.com/thre…ed-hw-block-device.29918/

I think it is very interesting to improve OMV for LXC compatibility. Enough to up this old thread ;)

= latest setup =

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!