• Hello,
    thought to share my new build. A while ago I decided to buy a nas and on first instinct I gave my attention to a pre-fab nas (mainly Qnap (ts-420) and synology). But since one of my requirements is for it to be able to use plex to stream to upto 3 devices simultaneously, of which 2 of them need transcoding, I was discouraged when I saw plex's nas compatibility list.
    So my focus went to diy nas, and after some research I came to know that OMV would be software that my needs, both media, backup and accessibility wise, and not the least important the active community ;).

At that moment the focus went to hardware. I wanted it to be able to handle at least 4 drives, which became 5 because OMV requires an system drive. Still I wanted it to be small and low power.

This is the setup:
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI (mini itx, 6 sata, 2 dim max 16GB)
    Processor:Intel i3-4130T (2core, 4 threads, 2.9Ghz, 35W tdp)
    Case:Fractal Design NODE 304 (6 internal bays) went with this one because it is pretty cheap and small but still holds 6 drives. Although it will be a puzzle to get everything in place.
    Memory: Crucial 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz CL11
    Power supply:be quiet! System Power 7 300W

Hard drives: 1x Seagate barracuda 80GB system drive (had it laying around)
    2x Western Digital Red 3 TB data drives

Data drives will not be in raid but instead I will use rsync plugin for selective disk to disk backup.
    Important data will also be synced to remote location.

The price was
    For the nas: €370,40
    For the data drives: €236,80
    Total:€607,20

• HI @marcoboers94,

Thanks for sharing your hardware configuration.
    I have pretty much the same config (see in my signature) and it's very powerful for a NAS ^^
    Very good choice for the case, it's a really good one and is not too big.

Is your disks speed corresponding to the SATA ports? And why choose a 6 SATA ports motherboard to put only 2?
    Are you intending to put some more disks in the future? SO why no RAID?

Cheers mate.

- ASROCK FM2A88X-ITX+ (SATAIII (6Gb/s) x6 (for the DATA), mSATA x1 (for the OS))
    - AMD A6 7400K 3.5GHz
    - Corsair 2Go DDR3 1333MHz C9 (x2)
    - Intel Corporation 82574L Gigabit Network Connection
    - COOLER MASTER G450M (80+ bronze)
    - WD Red 2To 64Mo 3.5" SATAIII (6Gb/s)
    - 32 Go SSD mSATA KingSpec Half-Size Solid State
    - Fractal Design Node 304 black (HDD 3.5" x6)
    - RAID 5 XFS
    - OMV 4.1.35-1 Arrakis

• Nice to hear that.

Disk speed should be okay and no problem with the 6 sata 3 connectors.

Yes, I intend to add more disks in the future. And now 3 connectors are taken (1 for system drive) and also the case supports 6 drives so of I want to I can expand to the 6 drives(5 data drives).
    First the reason I don't go with raid is simply because a lot of space is going to be taken by files, downloaded media in particular, that I don't really need redundancy for since I don't mind redownloading most of it when I lose it. But for the backups the redundancy is whished. Second, rsnapshot ( which I will be using) can keep multiple backups/versions which is a feature that I need in one way or another.

• I have almost the same build as you. That CPU had crossed my mind because its low tdp. But i decided to got for the extra bit of horsepower and relative low tdb and did go for the Intel Core i3 4370 which has a tdp of 65w and almost 50% more power.

No problems discovered although you need to backport to kernel 3.16 (omv extra) else you will get occasional freezings.

Here is my build.
    CPU: Intel Core i3 4370 / 3.8 Ghz
    Motherboard: Gigabyte H97N-WIFI
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 2x4gb
    SSD for OS: Crucial M500 120gb (cheapest/smalles i could find with TRIM)
    HDD for RAID5: 4 x 6tb WD RED

• Okay, that one has indeed some serious power, nice build.
    Good to know about the back port, was it giving problems with certain tasks or just random?

I also noticed you had some problems with the plex pass version, does that work now or are there things I should know about that? Or can I better stick to the normal version? Because I can't really figure out the differences, but I do have a plex pass.

• Never tried it out that much, the problem i only encounter was a random freeze of the webgui.

Don't excactly knows what the problem was but the most current build (0.9.11.7) which is a normal version i did not encounter any problems. But if this means its caused with the plex pass version i do not know. If there will be a plex version build released i most likely going to try it.

My CPU is great with PMS, sometimes it is transcoding 4 different 1080p streams without stuttering.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!