AUFS plugin missing from omvextras

• I'm looking to do a fresh OMV install, and am currently going through the process on a VM. On my current install, I have SnapRAID and AUFS setup. I like the setup and AUFS pooling. I haven't messed with SnapRAID pooling, but it sounds more difficult than AUFS. Anyway, when I went to install the AUFS plugin, it's not in the list of plugins (after enabling omv-extras). The omv-extras website says the latest version is 1.0.2, but I don't see that in
    the download area either:

http://omv-extras.org/debian/p…in/o/openmediavault-aufs/

In reading through some posts, it looks like AUFS is on it's way out to be replaced by overlayfs. It looks like the AUFS plugin was removed before overlayfs is available for OMV. When will overlayfs be available as a plugin? I'm still relatively noob with OMV, but I am looking for the same functionality of snapraid + aufs. Thanks.

• As recommended elsewhere, take a look a mhddfs as an alternative to aufs.

Why mhddfs over aufs if you don't mind me asking?
    I had mhddfs and had some issues so switched to aufs... but it has issues of its own.

I find aufs leaves empty folders after you delete or move stuff...
    mhddfs kept crashing but I now think it was some bad drives I had to RMA
    I liked mhddfs but the new plugin doesn't allow you to set drive fill limits, etc... I do like that all drives are filled at the same level with aufs.

• I did quite a lot of reading on the subject and what it came down to for me was:

- aufs has issues with leaving stuff behind after deletes, moves, etc.
    - aufs has been mostly abandoned in favour of the proposed replacement (OverlayFS)

- In comparison, I found a lot of people saying that mhddfs "just works" without issues as above, with the caveat that CPU usage is higher.

I simply decided to sacrifice CPU cycles for less hassle, based on what I had read. So far I am very happy with mhddfs, and I've been throwing a lot of files at it and moving and reorganizing things quite a bit.

I didn't bother looking into OverlayFS much. Perhaps that is worth a look too.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I haven't seen any development from aufs or mhddfs.

OverlayFS isn't in the standard Debian Wheezy or Wheezy Backports kernels.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Anacron has been integrated into core OMV Scheduled Tasks tab.
    As mentioned above, Aufs is part of the unionfilesystems plugin.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

That guide is showing snapraid. Creating an aufs pool is just as easy. You just pick what drives you want to be in the pool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

With snapraid, you pick data/content drives and parity drive(s). It calculates parity from the data and writes it to the parity drive. Read more about snapraid

aufs is for pooling drives. You choose which drives to pool to make multiple drives look like one big drive. Do not use the parity drive in the aufs pool. Read more about aufs.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!