Owncloud 8 and MySQL: alternative approach

• Hi,

here is a little HowTo for an alternative way-of-installation of OwnCloud 8.

What you need: OMV :thumbup: .
    The nginx and MySQL plugins have to be installed.
    An internet connection.

Shared Folder for Owncloud
    First you create shared folders

One folder for all your webservices nginx will use:

Then, a folder for owncloud (/www/owncloud):

www-data needs read/write access:

Configure nginx
    Add a pool in nginx:

Configure the server:

...but do not use port 80; usually OMV runs on this port.
    For testing purposes I used port 90.

Enter these lines in "Extra Options" (copied from owncloud.org)
    Please do not asm ME, what these lines do. I just copied them :thumbup:

Select your shared folder:

Enable nginx and the server.

Install OwnCloud

Download "setup-owncloud.php" from here:

Copy this file to your OwnCloud folder.
    Then start the installer:

The installer will tell you, that curl and later that php-pd is not installed.
    OK, install them:
    apt-get install php5-curl
    apt-get install php5-gd

Install in your OwnCloud root:

Configure your installation:

You're done.

Advantage: Easy installation
    Disadvantage: OwnCloud-Users are not synced with OMV-Users. You have to create them manually.

IMPORTANT
    Edit: to avoid confusion, I updated the picture nginx-configuration
    Edit#2: If you install OC 8.1 and you run into some errors, have a look at this.
    Edit#3: If you update to OC 8.2.2 and you run into some errors, have a look at this.
    Edit#4: If you update to NC10/NC11 and encounter trouble with caldav/carddav have a look at this

• This intrigues me as it looks almost too easy!
    a few things.... so with this... how do you perform updates? not via 'apt-get update upgrade' I presume?

does doing it this way make updating impossible or super difficult? as I'm sure OC8 will need a few patches to iron the fresh build out.

is this the wave of the future as far as installing OC on OMV?... seems the plugin is outdated and difficult to get to work properly.. maybe doing this and utilizing the great nginx and mysql plugins instead is the way to go.

How is this running? any issues? snags?
    I like this idea and want to try myself after I hear some input from some of the OMV veterans.

• You're right.

If you need encryption just enable ssl in the nginx plugin.
    If you did no yet, you have to create a certificate before that matches your servername and select that in the nginx plugin.

Also, if you took the nginx files from the owncloud plugin you could setup without the need to use the nginx plugin.

OK, but I love the nginx plugin!

• @Enra, when people connect remotely they will not be on the same domain. The common name of the ssl cert will need to match domain you are connecting with or you will have errors. It is not so simple. I see in example you give above your common name in your cerrt is a LAN ip.

• Hi Carlos,

what are you waiting for?
    SSL config?

I do not want to use ssl because the part of the share links.

This is because when I refer a link to the company (boss) that work he spend all their time telling me that ssl is denied and also teem to be constantly put the address as trusted.

• There are actual companys out there, that offer SSL certs, that, you won't believe it, are trusted in every browser out there. You just have to get one.

Greetings
    David

"Well... lately this forum has become support for everything except omv" [...] "And is like someone is banning Google from their browsers"

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Upload Logfile via WebGUI/CLI
    #openmediavault on freenode IRC | German & English | GMT+1
    Absolutely no Support via PM!

• Yes, you have to give it a shared folder to store the database and you have to fill in the administrator password.
    The password ist needed in the OC setup script.
    OC then creates its database-files.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!