Motherboard suggestion for OMV with PLEX transcoding

• I am in the process of upgrading my system after a couple years of using OMV on my old re-purposed PC.

I am looking at the following for my system:
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 Vishera 8-Core 3.5GHz
    Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866

Note: I already have 4 - 3TD Western Digital RED HDD in an array.

I will mostly be using PLEX to view movies and TV series and i will be using SABNZB, Sickbeard and Couch Potato to get theses.

I will be sending these movies to Xbox 360 controllers attached to my TV's around the house. So I may be transcoding 2-3 movies at the same time.

Will this proposed system do the job for now and more importantly for the next 3-5 years?

Any suggestions and advice would be most welcome!

• I use this motherboard and it works fine. Have not tested any drives with it yet (just testing if the board is supported). Was able to install from a thumbdrive onto a 32gb class 10 flash card sdhc

• Just curious, why do you need to transcode the content you're watching? Is all your content in some odd format that the Xbox 360's can't play?

The only thing I would say about that hardware is that it's not very power efficient, if you care about that. Since the NAS is going to be on 24/7 (I assume), this might be something to consider.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

• You are correct about the power efficiency it's sucking up 220 watts at idle.

This is my regular windows 10 PC that I'm testing OMV on via an alternate boot.

Then again, it has a power color RX 480 video card. 16GB of overclocked ram. Watercooling loop with 2 radiators, DVD burner and Bluray reader, three 256gig SSD's in raid-0, and the 8 core 8350 cpu is overclocked to 4.6ghz.

• I saw this site that tells you if your motherboard is compatible with Debian.
    https://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/ASUS/M5A99FX+PRO+R2.0

I check our motherboard and noticed that ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller did not have a "yes" next to it. I do have a usb 3.0 external drive that I"m using as storage to play my media files through plex. If it's working, does this mean it's only working as usb 2.0?

Is there a speed test app for omv that will tell me what speed I'm getting for read/writes on this drive with this motherboard, or is there another way to see if usb 3.0 is being used?

• Most likely out of date information, as the ASM1042 is a fairly old USB 3.0 controller by now.
    Obviously not the same system, but as you can see, it's supported by the standard Linux xhci_hcd driver, which is a USB 3.0 host controller driver https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Asus/X54C

The site you looked at doesn't have a lot of recent hardware and by recent I mean the last 4-5 years.

Just out of curiosity, have you had a look at Emby as an alternative to Plex? I found it to be a lot nicer to use, despite no native app support on my smart TV.

OMV 6.x, Gigabyte Z270N-WiFi, i7-6700K@3GHz, 16GB DDR4-3000, 4x 4TB Toshiba N300, 1x 60GB Corsair GT SSD (OS drive), 10Gbps Aquantia Ethernet

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von TheLostSwede ()

• Just out of curiosity, have you had a look at Emby as an alternative to Plex? I found it to be a lot nicer to use, despite no native app support on my smart TV.

I've heard a lot of good things about Emby. Would their be a conflict between emby and plex? (I assume that I would have to have separate emby media folders from the plex media folders to try it out?

• I don't see why it would be, as both would have their own database in separate directories.
    Emby is only available for OMV as a docker image though.

• Hello everyone,

I check our motherboard and noticed that ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller did not have a "yes" next to it. I do have a usb 3.0 external drive that I"m using as storage to play my media files through plex. If it's working, does this mean it's only working as usb 2.0?

Thanks & Regards,
    Support Team,

Crap...that's not good news for us. On the flip side, I was able to stream a movie at 28Mb through the ethernet port, from my usb drive. So this may not be too big of a deal for me.

Are you using an 8350 cpu in this motherboard also? Do you have a video card installed? Do you happen to know how many watts (and voltage) your system is using at Idle?

If anyone figures out how to fix this, this would be great for us. (in case of 1 or multiple streams exceeding usb 2.0 rate)

• Ignore the guy above you, he's a spammer.

You can check quite easily. Install lshw (apt install lshw) and run it.
    Under the list of USB devices, you should see a xHCI Host Controller, that's your USB 3.0 host controller. If it's missing, then it's not working.
    However, as I said, it's a very common USB 3.0 host controller and I'm 99% sure it's supported.

• USB 3 works on that board. I used an M5A97LE R2.0 for OMV for a while, and it had the same Asmedia controller. I never found the need to verify it with lshw, but I had the transfer speeds I would have expected from USB 3.0

Are you using an 8350 cpu in this motherboard also? Do you have a video card installed? Do you happen to know how many watts (and voltage) your system is using at Idle?

If you were testing with plans to retire this rig from gaming and use it for OMV, you can use the BIOS/UEFI to underclock the CPU in the same way you set up your current overclock. No matter how low you go, its still going to be more than OMV can use, and will consume less energy. You can save your current overclock as a profile, then tinker with energy savings, and restore the OC profile when you are done. A simpler, but more costly, possibility is to replace just the CPU with an Opteron 33xx series. These are the same Piledriver architecture as your current FX, but optimized for server use and with TDPs of only 25-65 watts. They come up on Ebay pretty frequently. I got mine a couple years ago for $25 (US).

My M5A97 based set-up had a Opteron 3320ee with four 3.5" data disks, 8GB of ECC RAM, an SSD for OS, and an added Intel Dual Gigabit NIC. No GPU. Idle was about 65 watts.

Just trying to get by

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Markess ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!