[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• The command fails even if the package is installed. Therefore, adding it as a dependency would not help.

By previously installing only the "dpkg-dev" package, on a clean OMV install, updated to the backports 4.16 kernel in a vm, I can install the "openmediavault-zfs" package without the error of the lack of "dpkg-architecture".

The installation is performed with the zfs 0.7.9 packages just released from the debian backports repositories.

The OMV-Extras.org Testing repository is disabled.
    The only additional repository I have activated is the debian contrib which does not affect the zfs installation anyway.

Successive compilation errors (lack of kmod spl devel) remain but the process still terminates with working zfs.

ryecoaaron: I'm wondering when it will be possible to release version 4.0.3 of openmediavault-zfs which is now in testing.
    Thank you

I attach the command line log.
    ZFS-install-cmd-log.txt

• Offizieller Beitrag

This is kicking a dead horse. The "error" never caused any problem. So, I really wasn't concerned. You aren't seeing it now because you are using the 0.7.9 packages from backports instead of the packages I built. So, the issue was probably fixed in those packages.

I'm wondering when it will be possible to release version 4.0.3 of openmediavault-zfs which is now in testing.

Why not install it from the testing repo? If I pushed 4.0.3 to the regular repo, it would be the exact same package. That said, I will probably push 4.0.4 today (minor dependencies changes to accommodate the proxmox kernel) to the regular repo.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Why not install it from the testing repo? If I pushed 4.0.3 to the regular repo, it would be the exact same package. That said, I will probably push 4.0.4 today (minor dependencies changes to accommodate the proxmox kernel) to the regular repo.

You do a fantastic job maintaining testing repository before releasing the final versions but about the zfs packages, I prefer to use the packages from the debian backports that after passing from the "unstable" and "testing" phases give me more peace of mind.

Obviously I know that this requires having to hold the kernel and headers to the current version until new versions of zfs are supporting the next.

--

Regarding new features of the extras and in particular that to activate and deactivate the backports, I wanted to point out that I think that probably there is a bug in their activation function.

I think the variable "OMV_APT_USE_KERNEL_BACKPORTS =" YES " that you insert in the file "/etc/default/openmediavault" is misinterpreted by the script "/usr/share/openmediavault/mkconf/apt.d/15omvextras" probably by the implementation of "omv_checkyesno" function.

In the presence of the "YES" value, the script deletes your backports configurations from apt (i think only in "/etc/apt/preferences.d/omv-extras-org" file) rather than creating them.
    The "NO" value instead re-creates them.
    So I think the operation is reversed.

Going to delete the variable and manually re-executing "omv-mkconf apt" the configurations are recreated.

I do not want to go further because I think I'm offtopic in this thread, even if we open an another one.

Sorry for may bad english.

Thanks.
    Carlo

• Hi guys,

as already described, I am replacing my 8x 4TB wd red disks with 8x 10TB wd red disks of my pool one after the other. Now I see some "issues":

1. Section "Storage - ZFS" in omv webui is not working after some hours of resilvering.

This doesn't have to do with zfs configuration changes while resilvering, how I suggested before. This is a general behavior and happens every time I replace one of my disks. Not a big issue, because everthing works as expected, exxecpt the section in the omv webui.

2. ZFS ZED is not activated after the update to the latest zfs plugin and zfs debian packages.

This happend sometimes in the past. But I ignored it and corrected manually. Maybe it's possible to keep the zed notification setting? I don't like the behavior that I have to look for the activation after an update of the plugin or the debian packages. I trust my config and maybe forget to activate zed notification after an update. In this case I won't get informed per email if any error happens to my pool and maybe worst case scenario happens...

3. ZED doesn't inform me that my pool is in the "DEGRADED" state.

I replaced 4 of my 8 4TB disks with 10TB disks and my omv machine always informs me with an email about the finished resilver procedure. But my omv machine never informed me about the "DEGRADED" state of my pool, which is much more relevant to me in daily use. I have to replace one disk by the other. There are no free sata/sas ports.

@subzero79 and @ryecoaaron What do you think about this?

Thanks and regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Hi guys,

today I am resilvering my sixth disk. Checked the issue that the "section "Storage - ZFS" in omv webui is not working after some hours of resilvering". It's not hours. After 7 minutes of resilvering it's already not reachable.

I use latest openmediavault 4.1.7, backports kernel 4.16, openmediavault-zfs 4.0.3, zfs-0.7.9-3.

Maybe someone can verify, if it is a general behavior or if it's related to my setup?

Thanks and regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Regarding #3: It's not really a fix to your problem, but I run this script regulary in addition to ZED (mostly because I found this script before I learned about ZED, but since ZFS is all about safekeeping, why not have redundancy in the error checkers? :) ) The script is from: https://calomel.org/zfs_health_check_script.html

I have modified it to suit my needs and also to make it work properly (email), so maybe you would like to have a different version. You should change the <OMV_NAME> in the emails to your servers name. (Note, I may have forgotten to mark all my changes with the double #)

• Hi guys,

all the 8 disks got resilvered at the weekend. No problems at all. ZoL worked as expected. The resilvering for the first replacements from 4TB WD Red to 10TB WD Red took about 24 hours. It speeded up with every disk replacement. The last disk resilvering needed 15 hours. So the complete replacement of all 8 disks took a little bit more than a week.

The pool expanded when the last disk got resilvered automtically (autoexpand=on).

So, every thing is nice and performs as expected, but a little bit faster than before. :D

Maybe the three points I described above can get solved in future versions of the plugin, but no reason to hurry. ;)

Why not install it from the testing repo? If I pushed 4.0.3 to the regular repo, it would be the exact same package. That said, I will probably push 4.0.4 today (minor dependencies changes to accommodate the proxmox kernel) to the regular repo.

Did you push your proxmox changes already? I don't see a button to install the proxmox kernel. I am at latest versions:

• openmediavault 4.1.8-1
    • openmediavault-omvextrasorg 4.1.8
    • openmediavault-zfs 4.0.4

What shall we do to install the proxmox kernel correctly?

Regarding #3: It's not really a fix to your problem, but I run this script regulary in addition to ZED (mostly because I found this script before I learned about ZED, but since ZFS is all about safekeeping, why not have redundancy in the error checkers? :) ) The script is from: https://calomel.org/zfs_health_check_script.html

I have modified it to suit my needs and also to make it work properly (email), so maybe you would like to have a different version. You should change the <OMV_NAME> in the emails to your servers name. (Note, I may have forgotten to mark all my changes with the double #)

Thanks for the script. Will have a look at it, if I find the time. ;)

Regards Hoppel

• Offizieller Beitrag

Did you push your proxmox changes already? I don't see a button to install the proxmox kernel. I am at latest versions:
    What shall we do to install the proxmox kernel correctly?

Yes, I did. You probably need to clear your browser cache. After that, the instructions on the kernel tab should be self-explanatory.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Yes, after clearing the browser cache, I can see the section „proxmox kernel“. Well done, thanks!

• Hi all,

I am quite new to OMV and also to ZFS on Linux. I have used a BSD based system for years which worked quite well in regards to ZFS (But has other issues). I installed a fresh OMV 4.13 Image, upgraded to the latest Kernel 4.17, installed the extras and could install ZFS plugin without any issues.
    It appeared in the WEBGui and seems to work. Now after some days of testing I have 1 questions I already asked in another thread here but maybe that is the best place where all ZFS experts are.
    This is the the Thread from last week: Degraded ZFS not notifications

So besides the email notifications (would be next step) I have the problem that after plugging off one disk (to simulate disk error) I still see a healthy pool.
    I tested that several times and as long as I do no execute a scrub it will show that everything is fine. Of course a regular scrub is really important however for a xTB big pool I only do that every 4-5 days. (Which I think is also the recommendation)

What is your experience in case of an HDD error? I still have the BSD based system and here it immediately shows a degraded pool after removing one disk.

The kernel itself also shows that the disk have been removed (I posted the LOG in the other thread where you can see it after only a few secs)
    I am still very much interested in Linux based NAS with all the advantages of ZFS however I am a bit confused about the behavior.

Thanks for your help

S

• I'm absolutely new to ZFS.
    I would like to use it because of the compression. Snapshots aren't interessting for me.

I installed the omv-extras zfs-plugin into my OMV 4 setup.

For testing purposes I have a free 4 GB usb stick without file system on it.
    How now do I use ZFS on this usb stick?

• Goto the ZFS tab in OMV and create the Pool from there.

BUT..... ZFS is gonna kill that thumb stick REALLY quick and the performance will suck. Unless you want to throw that in the bin, you'd be better off with an old drive you have knocking around.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Wipe the disk in the Physical Disks tab.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Still not showing up in drive list.

Am I missing something?

This is probably a sign to not use a usb stick :D

What is device name (ie /dev/sda)?

• I will test it out with my 1 GB WD Green soon. It's a trash drive so, perfect for testing.

Will the ZFS plugin be supported a long time in OMV? Don't want to set up ZFS and then in a few updates I can't use it anymore.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Will the ZFS plugin be supported a long time in OMV?

Hopefully. Even if the plugin isn't supported, you could still use zfs as long as Debian supports it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!