[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Try the proxmox kernel from the omv-extras kernel tab. No compiling needed.

• Offizieller Beitrag

What kind of hardware? Let me guess... bleeding edge desktop hardware?

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• What kind of hardware? Let me guess... bleeding edge desktop hardware?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Strange. That is old hardware that should work fine with the 4.15 kernel. The plugin's dependencies won't let you use the 4.14 kernel (unless you apt-hold the packages) but it would be a bad idea to use that kernel. Is there a setting in the adaptec bios to enable ahci on the sata card? You could also install the standard 4.9 kernel instead of a backports kernel.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• @ryecoaaron, I noticed poking around that there were a ton of commits made to the plugin back in October 2018 that aren't part of the currently used plugin. I was toying with the idea of trying to rework some stuff (in my fumble-fingered way) but I'm not sure if that was stuff that was prep for 5.x, or if it was a partly-completed rewrite, or what. Any idea whether it's a partially complete rewrite or something prepping for 5.x?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I noticed poking around that there were a ton of commits made to the plugin back in October 2018 that aren't part of the currently used plugin. I was toying with the idea of trying to rework some stuff (in my fumble-fingered way) but I'm not sure if that was stuff that was prep for 5.x, or if it was a partly-completed rewrite, or what. Any idea whether it's a partially complete rewrite or something prepping for 5.x?

That was @subzero79 fixing a bunch of stuff. Not sure why we didn't release that. It is not prep for 5.x and I think it should be used. Actually, the only thing that needs to be ported to 5.x is the email notification stuff. The plugin should just work as it is.

• That was @subzero79 fixing a bunch of stuff. Not sure why we didn't release that. It is not prep for 5.x and I think it should be used. Actually, the only thing that needs to be ported to 5.x is the email notification stuff. The plugin should just work as it is.

Okay. I have no idea whatsoever what I'm doing, so working off his would be best if it's functional, but I didn't want to go down that path without making sure I wasn't basing on the wrong thing.

• The plugin doesn’t support encryption in zfs. Bear in mind that encryption in zol I atm in a rc version, not the current one. If you need encryption only solution I see is to use zvols formatted as luks, then you can use ext4 or xfs on top.
    Other option destroy the pool, format each disk with luks, then create pool with the devices.

If I were you I would wait.

@ovizii As a combination of the two above, you can wait for native encryption and during waiting: use a zvol based encrypted container...

Sent from my phone

• @ovizii As a combination of the two above, you can wait for native encryption and during waiting: use a zvol based encrypted container...
    Sent from my phone

Thanks. Since I am moving from freenas to OMV I can decrypt my pool and start using OMV while waiting for ZOL 0.8 (with native encryption to hit the Debian 9 repos) - encryption is not "needed" but after having had it for about 5 years I feel naked disabling it :)

I'm currently trying to figure out the right hardware (upgrades) and I saw some announcement about OMV 5 moving to BTRFS ( https://github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/101 ) and a lot of discussions going on there about ZFS so I was wondering whether to start with OMV 4 with the ZOl version supplied by Debian 9 or with OMV 5 with ZOl supplied by Debian 10?

• Thanks. Since I am moving from freenas to OMV I can decrypt my pool and start using OMV while waiting for ZOL 0.8 (with native encryption to hit the Debian 9 repos) - encryption is not "needed" but after having had it for about 5 years I feel naked disabling it

I'm currently trying to figure out the right hardware (upgrades) and I saw some announcement about OMV 5 moving to BTRFS ( github.com/openmediavault/openmediavault/issues/101 ) and a lot of discussions going on there about ZFS so I was wondering whether to start with OMV 4 with the ZOl version supplied by Debian 9 or with OMV 5 with ZOl supplied by Debian 10?

You really don't want to go to OMV 5 - it's early Beta, most of the plugins (last I checked, a couple of weeks ago) weren't anywhere near ported, and there's still a long way to go.

That said, the BTRFS change was pushed back to OMV6 at least, so won't be much of a worry.

• Quick folow-up:

Proxmox 6 was jsut release with support for ZFS 0.8.1 with native encryption. Since I saw there is an option in OMV to use PRoxmox kernels, does this mean one can also add the public Proxmox repository and take advantage of using ZFS 0.8.1 hence bringing encryption to ZFS on OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Since I saw there is an option in OMV to use PRoxmox kernels, does this mean one can also add the public Proxmox repository and take advantage of using ZFS 0.8.1 hence bringing encryption to ZFS on OMV?

Not until OMV 5.x. The proxmox 6.x kernel works with Debian Buster.

• Been using ZFS with the plugin happily for quite a while now. Noticed a couple of weeks ago that a dist-upgrade would now break my OMV install (and try to uninstall) because of ZFS updates which conflict (I've held them back for now)

I use stretch backports kernel (currently 4.19.37-4~bpo9+1) and current ZFS packages:

Code
    # dpkg -l | grep zfs
    ii  libzfs2linux                        0.7.12-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1            amd64        OpenZFS filesystem library for Linux
    ii  openmediavault-zfs                  4.0.4                              amd64        OpenMediaVault plugin for ZFS
    ii  zfs-dkms                            0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                    all          OpenZFS filesystem kernel modules for Linux
    ii  zfs-zed                             0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                    amd64        OpenZFS Event Daemon
    ii  zfsutils-linux                      0.7.12-1~bpo9+1                    amd64        command-line tools to manage OpenZFS filesystems

It looks like apt only wants to minor upgrade me from 0.7.12-1~bpo9+1 to 0.7.12-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1:

But that seems to be enough for it to conflict with the ZFS plugin and make it want to uninstall everything:

Code
    The following packages will be REMOVED:
      openmediavault openmediavault-luksencryption openmediavault-omvextrasorg openmediavault-zfs systemd-sysv sysv-rc zfs-zed zfsutils-linux
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      cgmanager libcgmanager0 libeinfo1 librc1 openrc systemd-shim sysvinit-core
    The following packages will be upgraded:
      zfs-dkms

Any thoughts on how to get around this?

• Offizieller Beitrag

Try omv-aptclean to see it if fixes the issue. I have the newer version installed on a test VM.

• Similar issue, I've been getting cron-apt mail like the following for days now (it's the same everyday, so I guess zfs-dkms is not upgraded).

I just tried the omv-aptclean, the web GUI seems to be out of sync in regards to updates (e.g. it lists a lot of updates, but I cannot install them due to dependency issues):
    PS: Let me know if I should translate some of the below, it's basically complaining about openrc needs insserv, and in conflict with sysv-rc and sysv-rc needs insserv. I have insserv 1.14, so not sure what it is complaining about....

If I try an apt-upgrade in SSH, it is not installing the zfs (they are held back, sorry for the lingo again but I presume the syntax is understood):

Code
    apt-get upgrade
    Leser pakkelister ... Ferdig
    Skaper oversikt over avhengighetsforhold
    Leser tilstandsinformasjon ... Ferdig
    Beregner oppgradering ... Ferdig
    Følgende pakker er holdt tilbake:
      zfs-dkms zfs-zed zfsutils-linux
    0 oppgraderte, 0 nylig installerte, 0 å fjerne og 3 ikke oppgradert.
  • Try omv-aptclean to see it if fixes the issue. I have the newer version installed on a test VM.

Thanks for the quick response :)

Given omv-aptclean a go - everything suceeds with the command fine, no errors (clears out a bunch of lists) but same problem persists unfortunately... dist-upgrade wants to upgrade zfs-dkms and blow OMV away

• I ran into this and was able to fix it by simply uninstalling sysv-rc or openrc - whichever one is actually installed. Neither of them are used by OMV 4.x/Debian Jessie, as it's fully on systemd, and systemd-sysv handles it.

• I ran into this and was able to fix it by simply uninstalling sysv-rc or openrc - whichever one is actually installed. Neither of them are used by OMV 4.x/Debian Jessie, as it's fully on systemd, and systemd-sysv handles it.

If I try and remove sysv-rc it then just installs openrc at the same time, so still stuck :D

Also it then starts doing a lot of slightly scary stuff with service runlevels and init.d including saying:

Code
    *** WARNING: if you are replacing sysv-rc by OpenRC, then you must ***
    *** reboot immediately using the following command:                ***
    for file in /etc/rc0.d/K*; do s=`basename $(readlink "$file")` ; /etc/init.d/$s stop; done

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!