[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• OMV 1.0
    • T-Dawg wrote:

wolffstarr wrote:

I ran into this and was able to fix it by simply uninstalling sysv-rc or openrc - whichever one is actually installed. Neither of them are used by OMV 4.x/Debian Jessie, as it's fully on systemd, and systemd-sysv handles it.
      If I try and remove sysv-rc it then just installs openrc at the same time, so still stuck :D
      Also it then starts doing a lot of slightly scary stuff with service runlevels and init.d including saying:

Source Code

1. **********************************************************************
      2. *** WARNING: if you are replacing sysv-rc by OpenRC, then you must ***
      3. *** reboot immediately using the following command: ***
      4. for file in /etc/rc0.d/K*; do s=`basename $(readlink "$file")` ; /etc/init.d/$s stop; done
      5. **********************************************************************
      Um. Okay, I did some digging and thinking on this and it wasn't sysv-rc or openrc that I was uninstalling, it was insserv. Since systemd-sysv does exactly the same thing as insserv according to a couple of different sources, and since it's recommended they NOT be installed alongside each other, you should be fine once that's uninstalled. Do research it of course, but consider this bug report to Debian, where it's mentioned they shouldn't be installed alongside each other.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=915831#37
    • Stupid enough I did the apt dist-upgrade. Now omv-zfs is deinstalled. And I got stuck reinstalling it. zfsutils-linux depends on insserv < 1.18 but 1.14.0-5.4+b1 is to be installed. Stupid enough thats the version wich is installed at the moment. And to me it seems 1.14 is pre 1.18. so this dependency should not exsist? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Without restoring a omv backup?

I managed to repair. With the help of topic ZFS missing after update

The post was edited 1 time, last by candymirror ().

• zfs 0.8.1 is now in buster-backports. So, people won't have to use the proxmox kernel to get zfs encryption with OMV 5.x.
      omv 5.0.14 usul | 64 bit | 5.0 proxmox kernel | omvextrasorg 5.1.4
      omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
      Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!
    • savellm wrote:

Woah so we dont need to do proxmox first then ZFS?
      You never did. With OMV 5.x, you needed the proxmox kernel to get zfs 0.8.1 which has encryption. If you use the Debian kernel, you would get 0.7.13 which does not have encryption.

savellm wrote:

We can just install ZFS without needing different kernels?
      Uh, yes. You have been able to for a very long time.

savellm wrote:

And its stable?
      Uh, yes. It has been stable for a very long time.

Please read this before posting a question and this and this for docker questions.
    • Hi, just wanted to leave a trace on the internet for you future guys stumbling over the same problem as I did ....

Updated OMV after a while and obviously ended up with a broken ZFS installation. The zfs-dkms module could not be built on the new 4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 kernel because there is currently a bug which breaks installation of the corresponding kernel headers:

Bug description on mailing list

I'm not 100% sure if I understand the problem correctly - but my interpretation is, that it is at the moment just a naming issue. Therefore I downloaded

linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-common_4.19.67-2~bpo9+1_all.deb

from the Debian repository and installed it manually (via dpkg).

Then I downloaded linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64_4.19.67-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1_amd64.deb (by apt download linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 ) and installed it by ignoring the broken dependency:

Shell-Script

1. dpkg -i --ignore-depends=linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-common linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64_4.19.67-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1_amd64.deb

After this, I triggered compilation of the necessary modules via

Shell-Script

1. dpkg-reconfigure spl-dkms
      2. dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms
      Now I was finally able to modprobe the zfs module again... Currently running a reboot. Fingers crossed.

edit: Okay, ZFS is back after reboot. Unfortunately the apt system is currently a bit mad at me and wants to convince me to undo all my previous work ;) But I hope there will be a fix to the Debian issue in the next days ...

The post was edited 2 times, last by drgrandios ().

• drgrandios wrote:

Okay, ZFS is back after reboot. Unfortunately the apt system is currently a bit mad at me and wants to convince me to undo all my previous work But I hope there will be a fix to the Debian issue in the next days ...
      Switching to the proxmox kernel (where you don't have to build the zfs module) and uninstalling the Debian kernels fixes this. In my opinion, the proxmox kernel is better tested than the backports kernel against the same userland.

• drgrandios wrote:

According to the bug report, the missing dependency should be available now:
      They are.