[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• If I try and remove sysv-rc it then just installs openrc at the same time, so still stuck :D
    Also it then starts doing a lot of slightly scary stuff with service runlevels and init.d including saying:

Code
    *** WARNING: if you are replacing sysv-rc by OpenRC, then you must ***
    *** reboot immediately using the following command:                ***
    for file in /etc/rc0.d/K*; do s=`basename $(readlink "$file")` ; /etc/init.d/$s stop; done

Um. Okay, I did some digging and thinking on this and it wasn't sysv-rc or openrc that I was uninstalling, it was insserv. Since systemd-sysv does exactly the same thing as insserv according to a couple of different sources, and since it's recommended they NOT be installed alongside each other, you should be fine once that's uninstalled. Do research it of course, but consider this bug report to Debian, where it's mentioned they shouldn't be installed alongside each other.

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=915831#37

• Stupid enough I did the apt dist-upgrade. Now omv-zfs is deinstalled. And I got stuck reinstalling it. zfsutils-linux depends on insserv < 1.18 but 1.14.0-5.4+b1 is to be installed. Stupid enough thats the version wich is installed at the moment. And to me it seems 1.14 is pre 1.18. so this dependency should not exsist? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Without restoring a omv backup?

I managed to repair. With the help of topic ZFS missing after update

• Offizieller Beitrag

zfs 0.8.1 is now in buster-backports. So, people won't have to use the proxmox kernel to get zfs encryption with OMV 5.x.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Woah so we dont need to do proxmox first then ZFS?

You never did. With OMV 5.x, you needed the proxmox kernel to get zfs 0.8.1 which has encryption. If you use the Debian kernel, you would get 0.7.13 which does not have encryption.

We can just install ZFS without needing different kernels?

Uh, yes. You have been able to for a very long time.

And its stable?

Uh, yes. It has been stable for a very long time.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi, just wanted to leave a trace on the internet for you future guys stumbling over the same problem as I did ....

Updated OMV after a while and obviously ended up with a broken ZFS installation. The zfs-dkms module could not be built on the new 4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 kernel because there is currently a bug which breaks installation of the corresponding kernel headers:

Bug description on mailing list

I'm not 100% sure if I understand the problem correctly - but my interpretation is, that it is at the moment just a naming issue. Therefore I downloaded

linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-common_4.19.67-2~bpo9+1_all.deb

from the Debian repository and installed it manually (via dpkg).

Then I downloaded linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64_4.19.67-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1_amd64.deb (by apt download linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64 ) and installed it by ignoring the broken dependency:

Bash
    dpkg -i --ignore-depends=linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-common linux-headers-4.19.0-0.bpo.6-amd64_4.19.67-2+deb10u1~bpo9+1_amd64.deb

After this, I triggered compilation of the necessary modules via

Bash
    dpkg-reconfigure spl-dkms
    dpkg-reconfigure zfs-dkms

Now I was finally able to modprobe the zfs module again... Currently running a reboot. Fingers crossed.

edit: Okay, ZFS is back after reboot. Unfortunately the apt system is currently a bit mad at me and wants to convince me to undo all my previous work ;) But I hope there will be a fix to the Debian issue in the next days ...

• Offizieller Beitrag

Okay, ZFS is back after reboot. Unfortunately the apt system is currently a bit mad at me and wants to convince me to undo all my previous work But I hope there will be a fix to the Debian issue in the next days ...

Switching to the proxmox kernel (where you don't have to build the zfs module) and uninstalling the Debian kernels fixes this. In my opinion, the proxmox kernel is better tested than the backports kernel against the same userland.

• Offizieller Beitrag

According to the bug report, the missing dependency should be available now:

They are.

• Hi everyone,
    Since the missing dependency is available now, can someone create a guide for all on how to install zfs on omv 5.0.5. I'm struggling on having the zfs working.

Thank you.

• Hi *,
    Perhaps you can enlighten me? I am confused right now...
    Can OMV 4.1 users also use ZoL 0.8.x? I.e. ZoL 0.8.x is available via the Strech backports?

If I got it correctly, with OMV 5 you can either make use of Proxmox kernel or buster-backports?

Thx.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Can OMV 4.1 users also use ZoL 0.8.x?

No. https://packages.debian.org/se…on=names&keywords=zfs-zed

OMV 5 you can either make use of Proxmox kernel or buster-backports?

Yep. You will get zfs 0.8.2 with either. The nice thing about the proxmox kernel is the zfs module doesn't have to be built.

• OK, I'm having problems with the ZFS Plugin on OMV 5 and have been unable to get it to work successfully when trying to build by pool. I have successfully built a pool from the CLI (via SSH) but when it imports, I get the same error. I've tried rebuilding several times, tried installing OMV and OMV-Extras several times, and have reconfigured the dkms package several times. Every time results in the same error. I'm on the latest OMV 5 version and have the 5.3 kernel. The error and zpool status are attached. You will notice the difference in naming of the disks; this is due to the first two vdevs being created from within OMV, and the last two from the CLI (after it error-ed out in OMV). I have tried several iterations of creating pools/importing pools and always the same result. I apologize in advance if this is not the correct place to put this, I did not want to generate a new thread if it would benefit everyone to locate here.

Please help! I'm reluctant to go to OMV4 when OMV5 is so close to being fully stable, and really want to utilize the zfs 0.8 featureset.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I thought the proxmox kernel for OMV 5 was also 5.3.

The 5.3 kernel is still in proxmox testing status and omv-extras is still installing the 5.0 kernel. You can install it with apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 though.

• The 5.3 kernel is still in proxmox testing status and omv-extras is still installing the 5.0 kernel. You can install it with apt-get install pve-kernel-5.3 though.

Thanks for the clarification, this is actually exactly what I have right now. 5.3.10-1-pve. No luck. Should I give up on OMV 5 for now? It looks like I'm the only one with this problem, don't mind helping but I'm definitely a noob in both debian, zfs and OMV.

• Offizieller Beitrag

Should I give up on OMV 5 for now?

I didn't go read every post but your issue seems to be with the plugin. It would be nice if someone (other than me) could look at the code and fix it.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!