[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Hi! Can you help me with some error? I'm tried to install zfs support.
    I'm do:
    install OMV-extras 5 openmediavault-omvextrasorg_latest_all5.deb
    i cant find this https://forum.openmediavault.o…2092-Enable-ZFS-Repo-jpg/
    and just enable test, backports and extras repo.
    then, i'm tried install openmediavault-zfs 5.0.1 plugin, but i have some errors on this point.
    full log in attach.

Code
    dpkg: error processing package zfs-zed (--configure):
     dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.28-10) ...
    Processing triggers for systemd (241-7~deb10u2) ...
    Processing triggers for openmediavault (5.1.2-1) ...
    Restarting engine daemon ...
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     zfsutils-linux
     openmediavault-zfs
     zfs-zed

https://i.imgur.com/lZZ1xxm.png my system
    sorry for russian.
    Please, help me)

• Please look at post #878 of this thread. You can try to use the Proxmox kernel instead of the 5.0 kernel.

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Hi, I'm on Proxmox kernel and I have the openmediavault-zfs plugin. My host is running Proxmox and OMV is running in a VM.

I have a zpool called MyData which I created on the Proxmox host and have since exported. I am trying to import it in the OMV VM but I get the following error:

Failed to execute command 'export PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin; export LANG=C.UTF-8; zpool import "MyData" 2>&1' with exit code '1': cannot import 'MyData': unsupported version or feature This pool uses the following feature(s) not supported by this system: org.zfsonlinux:project_quota (space/object accounting based on project ID.) com.delphix:spacemap_v2 (Space maps representing large segments are more efficient.) All unsupported features are only required for writing to the pool. The pool can be imported using '-o readonly=on'.

I get the same error regardless of whether I try the import from the shell or from the GUI.

Here's the output from running it in the shell, because it's easier to read:

Code
    root@nas:~# zpool import -f MyData
    This pool uses the following feature(s) not supported by this system:
    	org.zfsonlinux:project_quota (space/object accounting based on project ID.)
    	com.delphix:spacemap_v2 (Space maps representing large segments are more efficient.)
    All unsupported features are only required for writing to the pool.
    The pool can be imported using '-o readonly=on'.
    cannot import 'MyData': unsupported version or feature
  • If you are using OMV4 ,and try to import pool from OMV5 there should be a problem,because proxmox uses newer zfs version. I would upgrade omv in that case.

Ah ok, is OMV5 stable enough to use now with plugins working etc? And is there a way to upgrade my existing installation or at least transfer the configuration to a new install?

• Yes it is stable enough, just watch out that there is no more docker plugin, but instead you have portainer.
    As for the upgrade, you can try:
    sed -i "s/stretch/buster/g" /etc/apt/sources.list
    sed -i "s/stretch/buster/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    sed -i "s/arrakis/usul/g" /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*
    apt-get update
    apt-get dist-upgrade
    reboot

As always backup etc etc.

• Hello,
    I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question. I tried to search in the forums but cannot seem to find the answer.
    I have been using OMV for backup purposes only for about a year now and I decided to consolidated my home server inside OMV.
    I upgraded to OMV 5 and added a ZFS mirrored disk. I have the OMV base files on an SSD and all my data on the ZFS pool.
    I went ahead and added docker and kvm and pretty much everything seems to be working but . . .
    I ran into the "common problem" that people experience with the shared folders not saving. see attached.
    I am not sure if its related to my docker setup but I read a post that the recommendation is to use the "srv" mounts for the volumes in the container.
    I don't see this in ZFS. I am not sure if my I have my ZFS + docker setup is correct. I also noticed that docker is creating a zfs mount for the graph.
    omvstor1/8bb66d1f5d4d3c0f8f101eedc257090225bb64f16d7844e6078e5f933600eadb on /sharedfolders/docker/zfs/graph/8bb66d1f5d4d3c0f8f101eedc257090225bb64f16d7844e6078e5f933600eadb type zfs (rw,relatime,xattr,noacl)

setup:

{
    "data-root": "/omvstor1/dockerFiles"
    }

Linux openmediavault.devsphoto.com 5.3.13-1-pve #1 SMP PVE 5.3.13-1 (Thu, 05 Dec 2019 07:18:14 +0100) x86_64 GNU/Linux

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read a post that the recommendation is to use the "srv" mounts for the volumes in the container.
    I don't see this in ZFS.

This doesn't apply to ZFS. When you name the pool, with default settings, the mount point is the name of the pool. Generally, this location will be at the root of the boot drive. (In my case the pool names is /ZFS1 )

The only thing that comes to mine, regarding Dockers and ZFS, is that you don't want to store Docker images and containers on a ZFS drive filesystem. Docker uses overlayfs which past versions of ZFS interpreted as being legacy filesystem clones.

Since you're booting from an SSD, it would be best to keep your Docker images and containers there, in the default location.
    In OMV4, the default Docker location is /var/lib/docker

• ok. I will have to investigate how much data this filesystem (/var/lib/docker)uses since I only have 120GB ssd for my OMV base. I assume the "volumes" can still be stored on my zpool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

I assume the "volumes" can still be stored on my zpool

You can point your volumes and bind points to the ZFS pool and you should. (The output of a downloader, for example.)

It's the Docker containers themselves that need to be installed/stored somewhere other than in a ZFS pool. Docker images and containers are usually just a few meg's each. They're really bare-bones. A 120GB SSD should be more than enough, so the default Docker location should be fine. Some users are running Dockers on USB thumbdrives in the 16 to 32GB range without issues.

However if you're using Plex in a Docker and have a large library, you should consider moving Plex's meta-database storage to the pool. It can become quite large. There's info on the forum, and on the Plex web site, on how to do that.

• If you are using OMV4 ,and try to import pool from OMV5 there should be a problem,because proxmox uses newer zfs version. I would upgrade omv in that case.

Does that mean that the ZFS created under the freenas system can be identified in the OMV system andMount

• Offizieller Beitrag

Does that mean that the ZFS created under the freenas system can be identified in the OMV system andMount

In most cases, yes.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Offizieller Beitrag

The following additional packages will be installed:
    pve-firmware pve-headers-5.3.13-2-pve pve-kernel-5.3.13-2-pve
    Failed to install Proxmox kernel. Exiting...
    <<< *************************************

Isn't there more output?

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Hi, everyone!
    I'm trying to reach zfs support on fresh omv install but can't do this due to errors.
    [Resolved] see my next post below
    My system is 5.0.5-1 (Usul)
    OMV-extras are installed
    openmediavault-zfs 5.0.4 plugin was started to be installed.
    Installation went well until first error

Code
    Loading new zfs-0.8.3 DKMS files...
    Building for 4.19.0-5-amd64
    Module build for kernel 4.19.0-5-amd64 was skipped since the
    kernel headers for this kernel does not seem to be installed.

Then appears this

Code
    Setting up zfsutils-linux (0.8.3-1~bpo10+1) ...
    modprobe: FATAL: Module zfs not found in directory /lib/modules/4.19.0-5-amd64

and this

I tried to install "Proxmox kernel" from OMV-extras - Kernel but my system failed down: no ethernet, no gui, no ssh. Just cmd on monitor.

I feel that versions of OMV, zfs-plugin and Proxmox kernel are not compatible.
    Please share your combination of OMV and zfs stuff that works.
    Thanks!

• Offizieller Beitrag

Proxmox kernel 5.0.3 solved all problems

The fact that you were using the default kernel instead of the backports kernel tells me you didn't update. You should've updated your system and rebooted before installing the zfs plugin.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!