[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

is that still up to date? Can i import ZFS pools from XigmaNAS in OMV?

In general, that comment is pretty outdated but it depends on when the filesystem was created on XigmaNAS and what features were enabled.

omv 7.0-32 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• In general, that comment is pretty outdated but it depends on when the filesystem was created on XigmaNAS and what features were enabled.

i have created a raidz1 in xigmanas with 5 HDD's (aka raid 5) - i think reading this software raid is enough, for copy this data to another disk and make a software raid via mdadm

• is that still up to date? Can i import ZFS pools from XigmaNAS in OMV?

actually, the actual linux version is newer than others so the problem is the reverse that when I post.

actually 23/04/2019 a pool created on current ZFSonLinux version have some features not suported by BSD 12.

I try to import my Data pool on BSD12 and this is the error show:

• So basically, if I import a freenas pool into openmediavault, can I then later re-import it into freenas or will it automatically update to newer flags?

Btw. here is my pool info, does this look like I can import it into OMV?

• Offizieller Beitrag

can I then later re-import it into freenas or will it automatically update to newer flags

What do you mean by "newer flags"? If you're talking pool property's and the values set to those properties above, the answer is no. Other than the default values set when a pool is created which are automatic, changes to the pool's properties must be done on the command line or in the GUI. This includes upgrading the pool.

if I import a freenas pool into openmediavault, can I then later re-import it into freenas

I believe this may be dependent on how old the freenas pool is. Until recently the version of ZFS used in freenas was different from that used by Linux. The version of ZFS, in OMV, have been ZOL (ZFS On Linux) throughout. Given a potential difference, an import may not work. On the other hand, the differences may be minor where it may work. To be honest, I don't know. Since freeNAS users will be going through the conversion, perhaps the subject has been discussed in their forum.

EDIT: According to the freeNAS ZOL post, pools "should" be interoperable between Linux and freeNAS "if" properties are not changed that exist on ZOL only. (There are no guarantees.)

• yes you can import a FreeNAS Pool and it's not updated automatically, you need to update from CLI (not recomended) if you plan to return back to BSD (FreeNAS or XigmaNAS).

• @raulfg3 sorry I didn't quite understand. Did I get this right: I can import the pool and it is not automatically updated so I should just be able to return to BSD?

One more question, before I go an try it out: Does this zfs plugin also handle encrypted pools? Of course I could decrypt the pool before switching but I would really, really like to continue with my encrypted pool. If its not possible, any alternatives to keep my data "safe" against physical theft? Some other kind of encryption although I am not quite sure where and how to implement it?

• @raulfg3 sorry I didn't quite understand. Did I get this right: I can import the pool and it is not automatically updated so I should just be able to return to BSD?

yes you can import a FreeNAS Pool and it's not updated automatically

PD: Copy&paste from my previous post, what you don't understand

• @raulfg3 sure I can explain but maybe my confusion is simply related to English being my 3rd language...
    the way I understand it, information in parenthesis () in a sentence is optional information and does not change the meaning of a sentence so if I remove your parenthesis this is what is left over and it sounds like this, hence my confusion:

you need to update from CLI if you plan to return back to BSD.

@pro_lamer @raulfg3 - I am coming from freenas so I am using GELI full disk encryption => https://ixsystems.com/document…1/storage.html#encryption

I can decrypt the pool before moving to OMV but I would really, really like some sort of encryption. Is there a solution or some planned solution or an alternative?

Also, I'm curious what the problem is with supporting encryption, I read that native encryption is present in ZOl since 0.8-RC1 or is that a different type of encryption? Or is it simply that the ZFS plugin (GUI) doesn't yet support encryption?

Thanks for any pointers and info guys!

• Offizieller Beitrag

I read that native encryption is present in ZOl since 0.8-RC1 or is that a different type of encryption?

Native means it is part of zfs. Any other encryption is on top of or underneath zfs. freebsd and linux offer different types of encryption that I am fairly certain are not compatible (LUKS on linux vs whatever freebsd offers). Once freebsd and linux are using zol 0.8, I would think encrypted zfs would compatible on either.

s there a solution or some planned solution or an alternative?

OMV has a LUKS plugin now. You could use zfs on top of it.

I'm curious what the problem is with supporting encryption,

No problem. OMV uses the version of zfs in the Debian repos and 0.8 is not even released yet.

Or is it simply that the ZFS plugin (GUI) doesn't yet support encryption?

It doesn't need to once zfs 0.8 is available. You should be able to enable it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.9 | compose 7.0.9 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Offizieller Beitrag

The plugin doesn’t support encryption in zfs. Bear in mind that encryption in zol I atm in a rc version, not the current one. If you need encryption only solution I see is to use zvols formatted as luks, then you can use ext4 or xfs on top.
    Other option destroy the pool, format each disk with luks, then create pool with the devices.

If I were you I would wait.

• Hello,
    I have a problem with zfs. Could anybody help?

Code
    Linux smallnas 4.19.0-0.bpo.4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 4.19.28-2~bpo9+1 (2019-03-27) x86_64 GNU/Linux
    openmediavault 4.1.22-1 (Arrakis)

I`ve intalled omv setup and it works without any problem.
    Yesterday I tried open dir and system stuck.
    I`ve checked zpool and sow scrub running.
    In several min system hung.
    I`ve done hardreset. And system hung with" job import zfs pools from cache". I`ve reload to old kernal and disable zfs-import-cache.service. And reload to default kernal.
    But if I try manualy import zpool system hungs with message

If I try reboot I`ve got

I`ve uninstalled/installed zfs plugin, its not help.

• Offizieller Beitrag

First, I'll state up front, I have no experience with this kind of error.
    With that said, did you see the first line of the first screen shot? Kernel Bug at /build/-----/linux-4.19.28/drivers/ata/sat.....?

Do you have OS backup from a time when all functioned? If the answer is "yes", I'd restore the backup. If the answer is "no", I'd consider setting your current boot drive aside and rebuilding. It's a guess, but I'm of the belief that this might not be fixable. Further, I'd be reluctant to work on the pool with an OS that may be corrupt.

• Did you try to boot another kernel than 4.19.28?

As an alternative you can try the Proxmox kernel. Have a look at „System -> OMV-Extras -> Kernel -> Install Proxmox kernel“.

Regards Hoppel

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    openmediavault 6 | proxmox kernel | zfs | docker | kvm
    supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon E3-1240L-v5 | 64gb ecc | 8x10tb wd red | digital devices max s8
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• No one advice works :(
    Install new system with kernel 4.14 but can`t install headers for it.
    When upgrade kernel to 4.19 have same error.
    Now try compile kernel 4.14 from sources.

I have one more storage on openmediavault with old kernel. Can I take it and install to new storage? In /var/cache/apt/archives deb is missing.

I found 4.14.0-0.bpo.3 deb files in old backup but the same error when I try import zpool.

• Offizieller Beitrag

No one advice works

Try the proxmox kernel from the omv-extras kernel tab. No compiling needed.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!