[HOWTO] Instal ZFS-Plugin & use ZFS on OMV

• Offizieller Beitrag

i believe the proxmox website has reordered their file hosting.

My proxmox systems don't think there is anything wrong with the URL.

I verified that the URL is working on my three proxmox systems and two OMV systems running the proxmox kernel. It has not changed.

I think this is the correct link:

Nope. That is the human viewable url. If the URL was wrong, it would give you a 404 error when it was downloading the release file. On your system, it did that just fine. It looks like the repo is either slow or there is something going on with your internet connection.

omv 7.0.4-2 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.5 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Thanks for the response. Is there a way i can get a better view of what is happening?

I set up an old xeon system a month ago and it worked fine. Not sure what's happening now when i try to do the same thing on this zen2 machine. I left for a couple hours and it's still sitting at that point

• Offizieller Beitrag

Is there a way i can get a better view of what is happening?

The verbose flag on apt-get doesn't show any more verbose output. I guess you could use wget. As root:

cd /var/cache/apt/archives
    wget --verbose http://download.proxmox.com/debian/pve/dists/buster/pve-no-subscription/binary-amd64/pve-firmware_3.0-5_all.deb

If it downloads fine there, not sure why apt is having a problem. But it will be in the correct place for apt to use it.

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.10 | compose 7.1.2 | k8s 7.0-6 | cputemp 7.0 | mergerfs 7.0.3

• Perfect!

Getting a whopping 2KB/s with an eta of 4 hours. At least it narrows down to (likely) ISP problems, i can just wait out the dl and hopefully get past this step.

Thanks for the help :D

• Hi, I read that ZFS is slower on kernel >5.0. Is it solved? I was planning to build a RaidZ1 pool with ZFS and maybe upgrade to OMV5 from OMV4.

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Hi,
    I installed OMV 5 and Proxmox kernel. I wanted to create a ZFS pool with 3 disks. The issue is that the device list is empty so I can't create the pool. Do you know how can I make ZFS see sdc,sdd and sde?

Intel G4400 - Asrock H170M Pro4S - 8GB ram - Be Quiet Pure Power 11 400 CM - Nanoxia Deep Silence 4 - 6TB Seagate Ironwolf - RAIDZ1 3x10TB WD - OMV 5 - Proxmox Kernel

• Hi,
    I installed OMV 5 and Proxmox kernel. I wanted to create a ZFS pool with 3 disks. The issue is that the device list is empty so I can't create the pool. Do you know how can I make ZFS see sdc,sdd and sde?

Make sure your drives are wiped and clean to show up in the UI.

• Created from shell and it was automatically imported! Do I need to make a scrub or something else before start copying my data on it? Also, how often should I do a scrub? Like once a week or month considering that the pool is a raidz1 made by 3 10TB HDDs?

• Offizieller Beitrag

I'd consider running these commands, on the command line, before adding data to the pool.

Where the pool name is ZFS1 (substitute your pool name in)

zfs set aclinherit=passthrough ZFS1
    zfs set acltype=posixacl ZFS1
    zfs set xattr=sa ZFS1
    zfs set compression=lz4 ZFS1

This one will automatically put a new disk in the pool, if a disk fails:

zpool set autoreplace=on ZFS1

Your call.

For scrubs, the plugin sets up a cron job that scrubs the pool on the 2nd Sunday of the month. That's enough in my opinion, but since you had some issues setting up your pool, I'd look to make sure it happens the first time.

• zfs set aclinherit=passthrough ZFS1
    zfs set acltype=posixacl ZFS1
    zfs set xattr=sa ZFS1
    zfs set compression=lz4 ZFS1

Except "atime=off" this is exactly what @crashtest has written.

'ashift=12' must be set, when the pool is created and is mandatory with all newer disks since 2011/2012.

'atime=off' or '=on' depends if you want to evaluate the time of the last access to a file. I have a job running which deletes the recycle bin after 3 days, which uses the atime-property. So in my pool "atime=on".

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Thanks a lot for the help! I did everything but compression since 99% of my files are media so it would be useless.
    I also set the atime=off .
    The only thing that I can't do is "ashift=12", but I can't even see this property if I do
    zfs Data get

• The only thing that I can't do is "ashift=12", but I can't even see this property if I do
    zfs Data get

You can´t set this property once the pool is created. To check the actual setting: CLI> zpool get ashift <POOLNAME>

To create a pool with ashift: CLI> zpool create -o ashift=12 <POOLNAME> <VDEVS>

OMV 3.0.100 (Gray style)

ASRock Rack C2550D4I C0-stepping - 16GB ECC - 6x WD RED 3TB (ZFS 2x3 Striped RaidZ1) - Fractal Design Node 304 -

3x WD80EMAZ Snapraid / MergerFS-pool via eSATA - 4-Bay ICYCube MB561U3S-4S with fan-mod

• Offizieller Beitrag

'atime=off' or '=on' depends if you want to evaluate the time of the last access to a file

If your zfs pool is on SSDs or nvme, I would turn it off.

• guys since the latest restart I can't add the folder in ZFS pool to sharedfolder.

The pool is correctly showed in the File System section, but when I go to sharedfolder it isnàt displayed:

https://i.imgur.com/RdU98Vf.png

but when I go in the sharedfolders I can't add them and the device in the already existing folders is n/a:

https://i.imgur.com/zkWTBmF.png

How can I solve this? :(

• Offizieller Beitrag

How are you set up?

Consider the following:
    There is the pool (ZFS1) and there are individual Filesystems that appear, in Shared Folders, as if they're individual block devices or hard drives. I've created a shared folder for each Filesystem. (Adding Filesystems is done with the +Add Object button.)

(BTW: If you've added the properties to the parent pool - ZFS1, mentioned earlier in this thread, each Filesystem will inherit those properties.)

• I just imported the pool and did nothing else after that. The 4 sharedfolders I have are create from the actual pool, I'm not sure why it worked before and not now.

https://i.imgur.com/lxXTqmK.png

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von Blabla ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!