Samba Share with public parent directory and private subfolders

• Dear Gurus,

I'm totally new in here and also a noob in OMV and linux. Please excuse me if I'm posting at the wrong section or will be asking too much specially regarding commands as I really do not know how to implement linux commands, a clear guide will be very much appreciated.

I've already installed OMV 1.9 on my machine and was trying to create samba shares on its gui. However, I'm having a lot of trouble setting up permissions with what I am trying to achieve. We really need a NAS in our office for our files. What I want is to have a single parent directory, no user authentication with sub-folders inside for each and every staff with user authentication for each folder. To visualize:

OFFICE-STAFF - staff1 staff2 staff3 staff4 staff-shared
    (parent directory no authentication) (sub-directories with user authentication) (public, no authentication)

I already tried to make samba share for OFFICE-STAFF folder and made it public with no user authentication. This gave me no problem at all but, when I created the sub-folders inside for each staff, I can't make it to ask for user authentication although I made the proper permissions for each folder for each users.

Is this kind of structure possible in OMV? Or since I assigned the parent directory as public and so it affects the whole permissions for all the folders inside it? Any help?

Thanks..

• Offizieller Beitrag

If there is no authentication on the top level it won't be further below.
    You need to start a login at top level. Once there you will have to restrict access with Acl for certain folder. In general we tend to not recommend acl, they cause more problems than benefits.

Read the sticky post at samba section please.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!