btsync file ownership

• I have noticed that any files that are synced with the btsync plugin get assigned the owner btsyc. I would like to change this if possible to my user account. Can it be done?

• Offizieller Beitrag

all daemons in omv run under a specific username. Btsync at the moment has two problems it doesnt run under group users so by default cannot write to shares. This can be overrided with changing the share to 777 or add btsync to users group

Second you're right, the default umask for btsync now in my setup is 022 (644) btsync:users (ive added the daemon username to the group) which doesnt give write permissions if for example the share is piped into samba.

Will have to ask @HK-47 how to change it or if he can add the option to the plugin for umask

• Offizieller Beitrag

Ok. On relation to the group you can add btsync to users

usermod -a -G users btsync for it to have read-write to the shares

As for the umask you can edit this file /etc/btsync/openmediavault.conf and add the following line

// DAEMON_UMASK=0022 ## this will make files 664, so the group users can write/delete them through other service like samba or ftp

• I hev not changed the group policy stuff that you have mentioned but I have noticed that the files have the attributes
    btsync:users

When I login via samba I am able to edit and delete the files.

In the user tab of the plugin I have selected my server username, but I am unsure what this tab is for. Does it set permissions for the synced folder?

• Offizieller Beitrag

That tab allows the selected usernames to login to the webUI of OMV and perform changes at btsync section, you can try it yourself with a username

The files created are normal to be btsync:users because of setgid (read my signature guide for posix).

however by default btsync cannot write to omv shares. You can read in the forum from two weeks ago a post from another user that pointed that, unless you placed an ACL there (which i would not recommend) or add btsync to users group.

Well just for example if you have a smartphone try to upload photos to a btsync folder and look at the permissions given to that file. In my server all files uploaded were 644.

• I know this is an old thread, however I used the above command to add btsync to my users group. Now that I don't use btsync anymore, I want to uninstall it. Is there a command I should use to remove btync from the users group prior to uninstalling the plugin? Or can I proceed to remove the plugin without removing btsync from that group?

OMV 1.9 - Lenovo Thinkserver TS140 - Xeon E3-1200 v3 Series w/ 8GB Ram: 3 x 3TB WD RED - AUFS Pool, 1 x 16GB Samsung SSD System Drive
    Plex - Syncthing - Couchpotato - Sonarr - NUT

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!