No access from WAN / IPv6 auto config / IPv6 gateway

• Hi folks,

first of all thanks for all the effort with the forum and omv, great work!

I've been using synology for quite a while and went xpenology with a custom build that I've been updating with new hardware from time to time. I switched to omv for numerous reasons the last days, and its working nicely so far :) , except:

Local connections are fine, but I can't get access from WAN. I'm on a IPv6 + DS-Lite, but thats usually not the issue. Port forwarding seems ok, I'm currently only testing with port SSH, since i will only use ssh tunnels later on for security reasons and maybe a pydio instance directly available for convenience. When I test the ports with a online port scanner, the result is a access denied on other ports than 22 (I guess my fritzbox sends ICMP replies) and a timeout on port 22.

Am I missing something? The network/firewall/hosts config is stock right now, so could something be blocking?? I'm still no expert on the shell, so could someone help me out on this? ?( Local IPv6/IPv4 access is working, both work with ssh/gui/samba/etc...

Edit (some infos):

So long,
    Stoney

• tracing the problem down (I'm quite a novice in linux...):

looks to me like tcpdump reveals that the port forwarding is working, so it's not a NAT/FW issue from the router since something from the outside world is arriving:

What next? Seems like something is blocking...but I can't really figure out what and how to configure this correctly.

What now?

• Once this is done I'm going to make a pydio-install & setup guide based on the websites and mysql plugin from extras (since it was super easy to install, instance is already running but only internal access since this issue is not resolved, however there's no up-to-date guide or how to) for the forum which pretty much obsoletes a plugin for the future. I'm willing to return something for a little help :)

Please :)

• Hi,

I'm on a IPv6 + DS-Lite, but thats usually not the issue. Port forwarding seems ok,
    Stoney

I don't fully understand your setup:
    You have DS-Lite; creating IPv4 connections from outside (WAN) is impossible.
    But if you use v6 for the remote access, then there is no port-forwarding.

• Jep, I'm aware of that and only using IPv6 for connecting...with my router (fritzbox) however you have to enable the ports in the firewall for IPv6, which I have done properly (it's been working with the old xpenology setup) and there are at least some packets that seem to make it through to omv as in the tcpdump above, but I guess somethings blocking and I just cant figure out whats going on...

• not quite sure, but shouldn't there be an IPv6 gateway somewhere:

Edit: Got it working by manually defining a default route for the IPv6 (seems like this is not properly advertised by dhcp?) with

Code
    ip -6 route add default via fe80::a96:d7ff:fe12:3941 dev eth1

But this won't survive a reboot...any way to make this the config static in such a way that it also survives updates and OMV config changes through the gui??

• Hi,

v6 sometimes is a beast.
    What you need first is a proper v6 configuration of your fritzbox.
    As I do not own a FB i can't help there.
    I don't think its a good idea to start configuring static gateways etc. in v6.
    V6 usually has its advantages in dynamic configurations.

Then you an own dyndns entry for every devices you want to reach cause v6 doesn't use port-forwarding.

• Hey,

jep, sometimes it is...

Well, on all the windows and other linux hosts, its working nicely with the current configuration. As I run out of options I did a check with a Ubuntu VM today with a simple ssh server and it worked out of the box. So I guess the FB config should be fine, since router-advertisement is also enabled and my other linux machines are completely self-configuring without any manual intervention. The static gateway I configured preliminary to get my other stuff working is a fe80:: right now, and the FB keeps a static postfix unless you explicitly change it manually.

Now, all options are correctly taken vom DHCPv6 in OMV, therefor I still suspect some sort of configuration error, since the default route in v6 is normally provided via router-advertisement. Seems like you have to enable this explicitly and I'm not sure if the current OMV ifconfig does so properly. I found this: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubu…rce/ifupdown/+bug/1013597
    Could it be that the fritzbox is not advertising in regular intervals, and the advertisements to the kernels initial solicitations are ignored?

Maybe some Mod/Dev can comment on the issue? Could the launchpad "bug" apply here?

• I've got masses of adresses:
    root@OMV:~# ifconfig
    eth0 Link encap:Ethernet Hardware Adresse xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
    inet Adresse:x.x.x.x Bcast:x.x.x.x Maske:255.255.255.0
    inet6-Adresse: fdb6:7570:x:x:x:x:x:x/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Global
    inet6-Adresse: 2a02:8108:x:x:x:x:x:x/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Global
    inet6-Adresse: fdb6:7570:x:x:x:x:x:x/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Global
    inet6-Adresse: 2a02:8108:x:x:x:x:x:x/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Global
    inet6-Adresse: fe80::3aea:x:x:x:x/64 Gültigkeitsbereich:Verbindung

Think, you should try v6 Method = auto, which I think correspondends to "SLAAC"

• Why does the WebGUI IPv6 configuration not work? When will this be fixed? It seems the bug is there for a very long time. What exactly is the problem? DHCPv6 of IPv6 itself?

I need IPv6 because I use DynDNS (myFritz.net) wih Owncloud. With IPv4, all internal traffic is directed over WAN. With IPv6 its recognized that this is an internal IP and routing is made directly.

I ccould also do this via terminal but I'd appreciate a good tutorial because It took a long time to restore it last time. I'm pretty new with IPv6. For example I don't know what address i could give manually?

• Why does the WebGUI IPv6 configuration not work? When will this be fixed? It seems the bug is there for a very long time. What exactly is the problem? DHCPv6 of IPv6 itself?

As I mentioned above the v6 WebGUI configuration works in my setup. So what exactly is your problem?

I need IPv6 because I use DynDNS (myFritz.net) wih Owncloud. With IPv4, all internal traffic is directed over WAN. With IPv6 its recognized that this is an internal IP and routing is made directly.

I think it is a DNS issue. You can try to insert en entry on your local DNS-server (router) with the name of your myfritz.net name pointing to your local servers IP-adress.
    e.g.:
    my-owncloud.myfritz.net = 192.168.178.1

• Hi, on my setup it does not work. When I change the setting, it says 'an error occurred'. Then after reboot, it stops after DHCP, even if i have no cables connected. To fix this I had to boot a live CD and comment out the IPv6 config in /etcetwork/interfaces. This happened at least twice, so it is obviously an OMV bug. I guess OMV writes some invalid values into the interface config. When doing it manually it should work, except there is a debian bug... Could anyone post his or her working DHCPv6 config?

I don't know any way to change the DNS rules inside my FritzBox. I can onle set it in my local /etc/hosts. But this change has to be made on every host and is very error-prone on mobile hosts.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!