Error in OpenVPN AS

• When you turn on the plugin and click on save -> apply the following error message appears:

What can you do? ?(

Many greetings.

2 BananaPi, 1 OrangePiPC+, 1 OrangePiPC with OMV 6.0.x

• You should do this:

apt-get --purge remove openvpn
    apt-get --purge remove openvpnas

The plugin should be uninstalled by one of these commands above. If you are promted with a ja/nein enter ja. Reinstall the OpenVPN AS plugin. But still you need to wait for the bug fix. Some buttons are not working correctly because of the bug. Any button using linkedfields is not working with OMV 1.14.

• Make sure to upgrade to openmediavault-openvpnas version 1.0.10

After upgrading with Update Manager I was able to install 1.0.10 and it solved the problem of not being able to install OpenVPN AS. Thanks for the hint!

However, I still face two issues. Could you help me out as well, tekkb? First of all, I can't access the Web UI via https://openmediavault.local:943/admin, but using the IP adress works. Strangely enough, the hostname works for CUPS, shellinabox, etc... Second, I cannot seem to connect from the outside neither by using the credentials of a user defined in OMV nor the openvpn user that shows up in the "User Permissions" list. Based on the instructions, I assumed they would be synched.

• Try:

Code
    https://openmediavault:943/admin

Tell me what you have for hostname and domain name at system/network/general in OMV's web gui.

Your hostname should show as the node when you sign in the admin ui.

Your domain name should show as your server name in the admin ui. This is also the address/name you get from your ddns service if you have dynamic ip.

• Thanks, tekkb! Dropping the ".local" did the trick - what could be the exact reason for this? It seems the certificate may be an issue.

I managed to resolve the second issue: there was a space in front of the hostname that wasn't ignored by the OpenVPN client. Is it normal though that with VPN one has to enter the IP address, because the browser cannot resolve hostnames? Or can this behaviour be changed?

• Hello tekkb,

First of all I will start by saying that I am new to OMV and had a lot of trouble installing and configuring it in the past 2 weeks on my NAS system.
    It was all mainly my fault for not gathering all the info ;( before starting this NAS building project - I was installing it on USB stick so it got corrupted, then I read the forum 100 times to try and fix all the strange errors I found ;( . Now I installed it on a small 20 gig S-ATA hdd that I had laying around and it works great. 8o
    I'm also not familiar with linux, so it was fun for me to learn some commands for managing packages, etc. 8o

But anyways, I'll get to the point now: I think I know why omavoss had this issue, because I had it too today. I had to remove and then reinstall the openvpn-as today because it somehow made the NAS's local ip unreacheable to ping/anything else - it worked only when accessed via external IP with port forwarding, not sure why, but I'll dig into it.

When trying to reinstall it I had the same errors mentioned by johnyb in [SOLVED] OpenVPN Install Failure and by scopeeye in OpenVPN-as does not create an init.d-script
    I did all the steps you guys talked about, without any luck.

Then I saw that the problem was caused by the fact that the "openvpn" user and all the groups created by the openvpn-as plugin, remained in the setup of omv and while reinstalling, it could not create the user again. After removing the user and groups, reinstallation and activation worked as expected. I found it out by looking at the /usr/local/openvpn_as/init.log file - it was referenced in the installation log:
    Automatic configuration failed, see /usr/local/openvpn_as/init.log
    You can configure manually using the /usr/local/openvpn_as/bin/ovpn-init tool.

I hope this helps :D Also, thank you for your hard work and dedication on this :thumbup::thumbup:

• @orpheus, it sounds like both plugins were installed or one was not completely remove before installing the other. You can only have one of the OpenVPN plugins installed at a time.

@sNiXx, the hostname should only be a word and no . anything at the end. The domain you use does not have to be real, like a paid domain. It just should match the fake domain you create with your ddns service provider. To access your OMV locally do this if you don't want to use the ip. Say you used openmediavault as your hostname. Then you could do this to access it:

Code
    openmediavault/ (if you have https access only you have to do https://openmediavault/ )

or for the admin ui for OpenVPN AS:

Code
    https://openmediavault:943/admin/
  • This works flawlessly inside the LAN under Windows but not Linux (IP works though). Also, accessing the Web UI of the different services and OMV itself through VPN doesn't work with the hostname - I have to enter the LAN IP of the server.

• Really...much to learn. If you expand the picture you will see I am connected via a VPN connection. I am getting the plex sign in because my VPN connected address is on a different subnet.

Well that is certainly true, but the motivation is there, wouldn't you agree? ;)

What I can't figure out is how to use the hostname I defined when connected via VPN like you obviously do (omv). I had to use "http://192.168.0.30:32400/web/index.html" instead of the usual "openmediavault:32400/web/index.html". Either I'm totally ignorant or you haven't given me a hint yet. Btw: I noticed the sign in screen too when accessing Plex.

• Try:
    openmediavault:32400/web

If this does not work give me screenshot of your system/network/general page and tell me which plugin you are using,
    OpenVPN AS or OpenVPN ??

Whoever invented auto complete should be shot!

• In the Network1.ong your Domain name is not correct. You cannot use local. Your Domain name needs to match the address that you get from your DDNS services if you have dynamic WAN ip. If you have static WAN ip address it should be that address. You can used the link in the plugin instructions to get your WAN ip address if you have a static WAN ip address. Because this setting was not correct you should uninstall the plugin and reinstall it after you fix this.

• Ok, that makes sense - thanks for the hint! I will have to try this once I'm at home. I'm just a little bit confused about this field's function and why I see "openmediavault.xxx.ddns.net" as hostname under "System Information" when I defined "openmediavault" as hostname.

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!