Plugins that are wanted - Part 5

• RPi = Raspberry Pi.
    OpenELEC is a Linux distro dedicated to making a Kodi media center, like OMV is a distro dedicated to making a NAS.

OMV is a NAS, not a media center, and it's not a good idea to combine the two.

• just want to add to what have been already said in a bit of different way.

before you start looking for a solution to the problem you don't have you need to research the options and technology you want to use.

as it was said before "Kodi" is a Client only app. yes there is/was a way(at least there were before version 16 as far as I know) to setup a headless Kodi install to use as library config server. that is you could have run an instance of Kodi in a headless server and use that to share your library and meta data between multiple end clients. not sure about current version but before version 16 Kodi had an option to server as a library server to other Kodi installs on the network, similar to how Plex works, you could have a master install on the network which all other installs can connect and mirror the library and metadata from/to.
    the master install can also server as a miniDLN?! client and stream media to others like a slingshot device. i.e you would have a master setup in a primary location that you use to configure the library and preferences, to connect to the media server/nas etc. and than when you setting up the extra clients instead of do ing all from setup from scratch you would connect to master and auto config.
    also that gave you ability to pause/resume viewing from any location.
    again, not sure if the option is still there as it had it share of problems in the past.

now, Plex and Emby are a Client/Server apps. in fact Emby is a server app with a management WebUI
    where Plex actually has 2 parts a Plex Server (backend) and Plex Client (front end) where you can install both on a single hardware which than would do a double duty, a media server AND an HTPC client, OR you can split up the install and install the Server Part on a compatible headless hardware or NAS and than setup client as front end only machine(HTPC) . Plex also supports a range of clients for other OS. like Windows, Mac, Linux, Android. some of them are free and some are pay for.

omv 3.0.56 erasmus | 64 bit | 4.7 backport kernel
    SM-SC846(24 bay)| H8DME-2 |2x AMD Opteron Hex Core 2431 @ 2.4Ghz |49GB RAM
    PSU: Silencer 760 Watt ATX Power Supply
    IPMI |3xSAT2-MV8 PCI-X |4 NIC : 2x Realteck + 1 Intel Pro Dual port PCI-e card
    OS on 2×120 SSD in RAID-1 |
    DATA: 3x3T| 4x2T | 2x1T

• So I asked about Kodi because it's one of the most known. After that what I was searching for was a way of streaming my media from my server running OMV to my phone remotely.

If there is an easier way to do that freely, please tell me where to look at.
    The problem with Plex is you need a paying license to stream and I understand that Emby is the same.

Also I don't want to sync my folders to my phone, I just want to stream them ^^

I used to own 2 Synology NAS that came with a video app that was directly streamed from the NAS.
    This is what I'm trying to recreate.

• I don't know about Emby, but Plex is perfectly free. The PlexPass only gives access to some advanced features and early access to the latest versions. The free version does exactly what you want.
    Kodi does not stream outside the network.

• Plex itself is Free, what is not free are the Mobile Client apps. that is you can install and use them but they have limitations when you do not have paid subscription for Plex services. or you can buy the App for like $5 to remove the limitations.

Excerpt from : https://support.plex.tv/hc/en-…2526943-Plex-Free-vs-Paid

The "Free to Use" Parts: The Server and Apps

There are some details to get into, but the summary of "free" is simple:

• The media you own is yours. Of course, we don’t charge you in any way for that.
    • The Plex Media Server is free to use and includes the Plex Web App.
    • All of our non-mobile, public apps are free. These include Amazon Fire TV, Android TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Plex Media Player, Roku, Smart TVs, TiVo, and game consoles (PlayStation and Xbox).
    • Our mobile apps (Android, iOS, Windows, Windows Phone) can be used for free, but have limitations.

• Until the mobile app is unlocked (through an in-app purchase or a Plex Pass subscription), video and music streamed from a Plex Media Server has a 1 minute limit, and photos will be watermarked.

• If you have Plex Pass, all apps are free. Just bite the bullet and get the lifetime membership. I use it a lot lol.

• Has Plex remote transcoder been considered? I'm not too sure how that would work. I am currently in the planning stages for an entire new setup. It might work if people are using VM's or something. But I plan on using a dedicated blade server for the transcoding. It would be kinda neat to have OMV on all 3 of my devices. Main server as the head. The remote transcoders, and the storage server.

• If you have Plex Pass, all apps are free. Just bite the bullet and get the lifetime membership. I use it a lot lol.

at the moment I do not use Plex at all, and haven't used it except for trial ever.
    when/if I decide I want it I will consider buying the pass.
    I was just providing the information to OP.

• Most folks don't need the benefit of Plex Pass. I've been using Plex for years without it, mainly because I despise the "software rental" concept and the lifetime pass is simply too expensive for a handful of features I don't need (mainly sync and cloud).

• So in the end Plex is not free. So back to square one ^^
    Is there even a free alternative to stream movies remotely from OMV ?

You are still jumping to wrong conclusion here.

PLEX is free. You can install and use it as you want, providing you do not need a few features that a paid subscription offers.
    Also, if you do need to pay for an app client it is a one time thing and you do not need to pay for plex plus subscription.
    Now do your research, check what feature/options a paid subscription adds to the base program and decide if you need this options.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Offizieller Beitrag

Sadly not ported to OMV 3.x

Really doesn't need to be. You can add the opensuse repo using omv-extras. And you can install the package with the apttool plugin.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

• Ok, so I found This post and managed to installed it :)

Thanks

EDIT :
    Ok, so I might have spoken a tiny bit too soon. I added the repo as shown This in post (and using your recommendations on the next page) but the package never appears.
    what am I doing wrong ?

Also does installing Emby from the OMV plugin adds Emby in the list on the left on OMV, or is the only thing is going to the IP:port ?

• Offizieller Beitrag

the package never appears.
    what am I doing wrong ?

appears where? It isn't a plugin so it won't show up on the plugin list. The post your linked to tells you how to install it. Basically apt-get install emby-server Or did you install it and you are looking for something in the OMV web interface? Once again, it is not a plugin. So, it is just running on the system. ip:port is what you need. You really don't need anything else.

omv 7.0.5-1 sandworm | 64 bit | 6.8 proxmox kernel

plugins :: omvextrasorg 7.0 | kvm 7.0.13 | compose 7.1.4 | k8s 7.1.0-3 | cputemp 7.0.1 | mergerfs 7.0.4

omv-extras.org plugins source code and issue tracker - github - changelogs

Please try ctrl-shift-R and read this before posting a question.

Please put your OMV system details in your signature.
    Please don't PM for support... Too many PMs!

Jetzt mitmachen!

Sie haben noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registrieren Sie sich kostenlos und nehmen Sie an unserer Community teil!